Re: tc-list Alepf and A

  • Carlton Winbery
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 1999
      >Kevin said:
      >
      >> I always assumed that the Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Alexandrinus on
      >display
      >> in the British Museum were the "Real McCoy."
      >
      >I agree. By the way, it's the British Library. The new Library is some
      >distance form the Museum. The exhibit area is much nicer and visibility of
      >the manuscript is superior.
      >

      >Harold P. Scanlin
      >United Bible Societies
      >1865 Broadway
      >New York, NY 10023
      >scanlin@...

      I have been at the British Library when the facsimile was on display,
      clearly marked (as William Peterson said), and I have been there when the
      original was on display. I have been privileged also (with a letter from
      John Morgan-Wynn, then dean of Regents Park at Oxford) to examine Aleph and
      A in the manuscript room first hand. Also the little scrap of Revelation
      called P18. It is sealed between two pieces of glass.

      They have very strict rules which you must read after being seated at the
      table where you will examine the mss. One is you must never turn a page or
      handle the ms with a pencil in your hand. You are only allowed to have a
      lead pencil with you at the table, no ink or ink pens. I am not sure if you
      could take a computer in with you, certainly no photo equipment, but you
      can order photos of some of the pages.

      Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
      Foggleman Professor of Religion
      Louisiana College
      winbery@...
      winbery@...
      Ph. 1 318 448 6103 hm
      Ph. 1 318 487 7241 off
    • rlmullen@netpath.net
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 1999
        Richard Rolle of Hampole, THE PSALTER OR PSALMS OF DAVID, ed. by H. R.
        Bramley, (Oxford: Clarendon, 1884).

        At 04:25 PM 12/2/99 +0000, you wrote:
        >Does anyone have information on an English Bible translation of
        >the Psalms made about 1330 by William of Shoreham and/or
        >Richard Rolle?
        >
        >Ron Minton

      • Prof. Glen L. Thompson
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 3, 1999
          >I have heard that if you make arrangements ahead of time, and if >you have
          >credentials from a theological school (etc.) you can view things not
          >available to the regular public. Any truth to this?
          ->Bill Combs

          This is absolutely true, and holds for most of the libraries in Europe
          with manuscript collections. In August I spent several days at the
          British Library examing mss. The staff was very helpful and
          courteous in every way.

          However, if you want to see a really valuable mss, such as one of
          the great uncials, you had better get permission in advance, and
          that will mean getting some very well-known experts in the field to
          verify your need to see the mss. and your qualifications to do so.
          They will not allow the curious to touch such priceless treasures,
          but will rather put the facsimiles or microfilms of them at such a
          person's disposal.
          Glen Thompson