Re: tc-list Erasmus

  • Kevin W. Woodruff
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 1999
      Ron:

      It looks like the TR was published in two parts. The first consisting of 324
      pages and the second part consisting of 672 pages (actually it was 632 pages
      due to misnumbering). It was 30.5 cm tall.

      Here is the catalog record:

      Bible. N.T. Greek. 1516.
      Novvm instrumentäu omne, diligenter ab Erasmo Roterodamo
      recognitum & emendatum, näo solum ad grµcam ueritatem, uerumetiam ad multorum
      utrisq[ue] linguµ codicum, eorumq[ue] ueterum simul & emendatorum fidem,
      postremo ad probatissimorum autorum citationem, emendationem &
      interpretationem, prµcipue, Origenis, Chrysostomi, Cyrilli, Vulgarij [i.e.
      Theophylacti archiepiscopi Bulgariae], Hieronymi, Cypriani, Ambrosij, Hilarij,
      Augustini, una cäu annotationibus, quµ lectorem doceant, quid qua ratione
      mutatum sit ...
      [Basileae, in aedibus Ioannis Frobenii, 1516]
      14 p. l., 324, 672 (i.e. 632), [3] p. 30 1/2 cm.
      Printer's marks on t.-p. and p. [635]; woodcut borders;
      initials; headpieces.
      Numerous errors in paging.
      Erasmus's first edition, and the first published edition of the
      N.T. in Greek. cf. British and foreign Bible soc. Historical catalogue,
      4591.
      The printing of this volume was partly under the supervision of
      Joannes Oecolampadius.
      Greek and Latin in parallel columns.

      At 04:03 PM 12/2/1999 +0000, you wrote:
      >I have read that Erasmus' 1516 Greek/Latin edition contained about
      >a thousand pages, but another source says 672 pages. Can
      >someone clarify this?
      >
      >Ron Minton

      Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
      Library Director/Reference Librarian
      Professor of New Testament Greek
      Cierpke Memorial Library
      1815 Union Ave.
      Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
      United States of America
      423/493-4252 (office)
      423/698-9447 (home)
      423/493-4497 (FAX)
      Cierpke@... (preferred)
      kwoodruf@... (alternate)
    • Paul F. Schaffner
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 1999
        To facilitate comparison, Psalm 23 as it appears in some of the chief
        Middle English psalm translations (including Rolle's) can be found at:

        http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/hel/psalm23.html

        pfs
      • Kevin W. Woodruff
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 2, 1999
          Ron:

          A good account of Rolle's translation of the Psalter is given on page
          385-386 of Volume 2 of _The Cambridge History of the Bible_ edited by G. W.
          H. Lampe (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1969):

          At 04:25 PM 12/2/1999 +0000, you wrote:
          >Does anyone have information on an English Bible translation of
          >the Psalms made about 1330 by William of Shoreham and/or
          >Richard Rolle?
          >
          >Ron Minton

          Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
          Library Director/Reference Librarian
          Professor of New Testament Greek
          Cierpke Memorial Library
          1815 Union Ave.
          Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
          United States of America
          423/493-4252 (office)
          423/698-9447 (home)
          423/493-4497 (FAX)
          Cierpke@... (preferred)
          kwoodruf@... (alternate)
        • Carlton Winbery
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 2, 1999
            >Kevin said:
            >
            >> I always assumed that the Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Alexandrinus on
            >display
            >> in the British Museum were the "Real McCoy."
            >
            >I agree. By the way, it's the British Library. The new Library is some
            >distance form the Museum. The exhibit area is much nicer and visibility of
            >the manuscript is superior.
            >

            >Harold P. Scanlin
            >United Bible Societies
            >1865 Broadway
            >New York, NY 10023
            >scanlin@...

            I have been at the British Library when the facsimile was on display,
            clearly marked (as William Peterson said), and I have been there when the
            original was on display. I have been privileged also (with a letter from
            John Morgan-Wynn, then dean of Regents Park at Oxford) to examine Aleph and
            A in the manuscript room first hand. Also the little scrap of Revelation
            called P18. It is sealed between two pieces of glass.

            They have very strict rules which you must read after being seated at the
            table where you will examine the mss. One is you must never turn a page or
            handle the ms with a pencil in your hand. You are only allowed to have a
            lead pencil with you at the table, no ink or ink pens. I am not sure if you
            could take a computer in with you, certainly no photo equipment, but you
            can order photos of some of the pages.

            Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
            Foggleman Professor of Religion
            Louisiana College
            winbery@...
            winbery@...
            Ph. 1 318 448 6103 hm
            Ph. 1 318 487 7241 off
          • rlmullen@netpath.net
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 2, 1999
              Richard Rolle of Hampole, THE PSALTER OR PSALMS OF DAVID, ed. by H. R.
              Bramley, (Oxford: Clarendon, 1884).

              At 04:25 PM 12/2/99 +0000, you wrote:
              >Does anyone have information on an English Bible translation of
              >the Psalms made about 1330 by William of Shoreham and/or
              >Richard Rolle?
              >
              >Ron Minton

            • Prof. Glen L. Thompson
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 3, 1999
                >I have heard that if you make arrangements ahead of time, and if >you have
                >credentials from a theological school (etc.) you can view things not
                >available to the regular public. Any truth to this?
                ->Bill Combs

                This is absolutely true, and holds for most of the libraries in Europe
                with manuscript collections. In August I spent several days at the
                British Library examing mss. The staff was very helpful and
                courteous in every way.

                However, if you want to see a really valuable mss, such as one of
                the great uncials, you had better get permission in advance, and
                that will mean getting some very well-known experts in the field to
                verify your need to see the mss. and your qualifications to do so.
                They will not allow the curious to touch such priceless treasures,
                but will rather put the facsimiles or microfilms of them at such a
                person's disposal.
                Glen Thompson