Re: tc-list Alepf and A

  • Bill Combs
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 1999
      I have heard that if you make arrangements ahead of time, and if you have
      credentials from a theological school (etc.) you can view things not
      available to the regular public. Any truth to this?
      --
      Bill Combs
      Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary

      > From: "Harold P. Scanlin" <scanlin@...>
      > Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 17:10:07 -0500
      > To: "INTERNET:tc-list@..."
      > <tc-list@...>
      > Subject: Re: tc-list Alepf and A
      >
      > Kevin said:
      >
      >> I always assumed that the Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Alexandrinus on
      > display
      >> in the British Museum were the "Real McCoy."
      >
      > I agree. By the way, it's the British Library. The new Library is some
      > distance form the Museum. The exhibit area is much nicer and visibility of
      > the manuscript is superior.
      >

      > Harold P. Scanlin
      > United Bible Societies
      > 1865 Broadway
      > New York, NY 10023
      > scanlin@...

    • Kevin W. Woodruff
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 1999
        Ron:

        It looks like the TR was published in two parts. The first consisting of 324
        pages and the second part consisting of 672 pages (actually it was 632 pages
        due to misnumbering). It was 30.5 cm tall.

        Here is the catalog record:

        Bible. N.T. Greek. 1516.
        Novvm instrumentäu omne, diligenter ab Erasmo Roterodamo
        recognitum & emendatum, näo solum ad grµcam ueritatem, uerumetiam ad multorum
        utrisq[ue] linguµ codicum, eorumq[ue] ueterum simul & emendatorum fidem,
        postremo ad probatissimorum autorum citationem, emendationem &
        interpretationem, prµcipue, Origenis, Chrysostomi, Cyrilli, Vulgarij [i.e.
        Theophylacti archiepiscopi Bulgariae], Hieronymi, Cypriani, Ambrosij, Hilarij,
        Augustini, una cäu annotationibus, quµ lectorem doceant, quid qua ratione
        mutatum sit ...
        [Basileae, in aedibus Ioannis Frobenii, 1516]
        14 p. l., 324, 672 (i.e. 632), [3] p. 30 1/2 cm.
        Printer's marks on t.-p. and p. [635]; woodcut borders;
        initials; headpieces.
        Numerous errors in paging.
        Erasmus's first edition, and the first published edition of the
        N.T. in Greek. cf. British and foreign Bible soc. Historical catalogue,
        4591.
        The printing of this volume was partly under the supervision of
        Joannes Oecolampadius.
        Greek and Latin in parallel columns.

        At 04:03 PM 12/2/1999 +0000, you wrote:
        >I have read that Erasmus' 1516 Greek/Latin edition contained about
        >a thousand pages, but another source says 672 pages. Can
        >someone clarify this?
        >
        >Ron Minton

        Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
        Library Director/Reference Librarian
        Professor of New Testament Greek
        Cierpke Memorial Library
        1815 Union Ave.
        Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
        United States of America
        423/493-4252 (office)
        423/698-9447 (home)
        423/493-4497 (FAX)
        Cierpke@... (preferred)
        kwoodruf@... (alternate)
      • Paul F. Schaffner
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 2, 1999
          To facilitate comparison, Psalm 23 as it appears in some of the chief
          Middle English psalm translations (including Rolle's) can be found at:

          http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/hel/psalm23.html

          pfs
        • Kevin W. Woodruff
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 2, 1999
            Ron:

            A good account of Rolle's translation of the Psalter is given on page
            385-386 of Volume 2 of _The Cambridge History of the Bible_ edited by G. W.
            H. Lampe (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1969):

            At 04:25 PM 12/2/1999 +0000, you wrote:
            >Does anyone have information on an English Bible translation of
            >the Psalms made about 1330 by William of Shoreham and/or
            >Richard Rolle?
            >
            >Ron Minton

            Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
            Library Director/Reference Librarian
            Professor of New Testament Greek
            Cierpke Memorial Library
            1815 Union Ave.
            Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
            United States of America
            423/493-4252 (office)
            423/698-9447 (home)
            423/493-4497 (FAX)
            Cierpke@... (preferred)
            kwoodruf@... (alternate)
          • Carlton Winbery
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 2, 1999
              >Kevin said:
              >
              >> I always assumed that the Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Alexandrinus on
              >display
              >> in the British Museum were the "Real McCoy."
              >
              >I agree. By the way, it's the British Library. The new Library is some
              >distance form the Museum. The exhibit area is much nicer and visibility of
              >the manuscript is superior.
              >

              >Harold P. Scanlin
              >United Bible Societies
              >1865 Broadway
              >New York, NY 10023
              >scanlin@...

              I have been at the British Library when the facsimile was on display,
              clearly marked (as William Peterson said), and I have been there when the
              original was on display. I have been privileged also (with a letter from
              John Morgan-Wynn, then dean of Regents Park at Oxford) to examine Aleph and
              A in the manuscript room first hand. Also the little scrap of Revelation
              called P18. It is sealed between two pieces of glass.

              They have very strict rules which you must read after being seated at the
              table where you will examine the mss. One is you must never turn a page or
              handle the ms with a pencil in your hand. You are only allowed to have a
              lead pencil with you at the table, no ink or ink pens. I am not sure if you
              could take a computer in with you, certainly no photo equipment, but you
              can order photos of some of the pages.

              Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
              Foggleman Professor of Religion
              Louisiana College
              winbery@...
              winbery@...
              Ph. 1 318 448 6103 hm
              Ph. 1 318 487 7241 off
            • rlmullen@netpath.net
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 2, 1999
                Richard Rolle of Hampole, THE PSALTER OR PSALMS OF DAVID, ed. by H. R.
                Bramley, (Oxford: Clarendon, 1884).

                At 04:25 PM 12/2/99 +0000, you wrote:
                >Does anyone have information on an English Bible translation of
                >the Psalms made about 1330 by William of Shoreham and/or
                >Richard Rolle?
                >
                >Ron Minton

              • Prof. Glen L. Thompson
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 3, 1999
                  >I have heard that if you make arrangements ahead of time, and if >you have
                  >credentials from a theological school (etc.) you can view things not
                  >available to the regular public. Any truth to this?
                  ->Bill Combs

                  This is absolutely true, and holds for most of the libraries in Europe
                  with manuscript collections. In August I spent several days at the
                  British Library examing mss. The staff was very helpful and
                  courteous in every way.

                  However, if you want to see a really valuable mss, such as one of
                  the great uncials, you had better get permission in advance, and
                  that will mean getting some very well-known experts in the field to
                  verify your need to see the mss. and your qualifications to do so.
                  They will not allow the curious to touch such priceless treasures,
                  but will rather put the facsimiles or microfilms of them at such a
                  person's disposal.
                  Glen Thompson