tc-list UBS4 John 4:1

  • Pete Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 1999
      [excuse if this is a duplicate posting -- I had problems with a previous
      attempt]

      Is the lower case phi in Pharisees in UBS4 of John 4:1 a typo? It is
      capital in NA27 and UBS3. Have a number of new typos been introduced in
      the change from UBS3 to UBS4 (which is meant to have an unchanged text)? I
      have been concerned about the typographical accuracy of UBS4 (e.g. heading
      p. 156, and verse number on John 1:25). Can anyone tell me about the
      typographical process of the production of UBS4?

      Thanks in advance,

      Pete Williams

      --------------------------------------
      Dr Pete Williams, Research Fellow *
      Tyndale House, Cambridge, CB3 9BA *
      emoi gar to zen Christos *
      kai to apothanein kerdos - Phil 1.21 *
      --------------------------------------
    • Harold P. Scanlin
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 1999
        Pete Williams called attention to the following typo:

        > Is the lower case phi in Pharisees in UBS4 of John 4:1 a typo?

        Yes. I will forward this note to the German Bible Society. Any other
        likely typos spot can be forwarded directly to them.

        > I have been concerned about the typographical accuracy of UBS4 (e.g.
        heading
        > p. 156,

        This one still needs correcting: Read is for ist.

        > and verse number on John 1:25).

        So does this: Read 25 for 5

        > Can anyone tell me about the
        > typographical process of the production of UBS4?

        As Pete observes, the text of UBS4 is intended to be identical to
        UBS3(Corrected). Here's a bit of the background.

        All editions through UBS3 (Corrected) utilized the same plates produced
        from a specially commissioned typeface, called Porson. The differences
        between 3 and 3(Corr) dealt primarily with changing the punctuation to
        conform generally, but not totally, with the punctuation used in NA26.
        According to Kurt Aland, the punctuation system in NA26 reflected ancient
        punctuation style. GNT1-3 used what could be described as following modern
        (American) English punctuation usage. The discussion of how we know the
        principles of ancient Greek punctuation and whether a "modern" system is
        more useful, especially for students and translators, is another matter.
        This little history just explains how we got to where we are today.

        When GNT4 thoroughly reworked the apparatus it became necessary to reset
        the entire volume. Using the hot metal type system from the Porson days
        was no longer possible, so the entire book was electronically typeset. It
        seems to be inevitable, if regrettable, that a typesetting venture of this
        complexity introduces typographical errors. The switch to a new system of
        typesetting also explains why the font looks quite different, a change that
        many people have lamented. GNT4 has now gone through three printings
        (1993, 1994, 1998) and a number of typos have been eliminated. There are
        more to be corrected, including those noted by Pete Williams.

        The Bible Societies are grateful to all the careful readers who report
        typographical errors.

        Harold P. Scanlin
        Consultant on Scholarly Editions
        United Bible Societies
        1865 Broadway
        New York, NY 10023
        scanlin@...
      • Stephen C. Carlson
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 1999
          At 11:59 AM 12/3/99 -0500, Harold P. Scanlin wrote:
          >GNT4 has now gone through three printings
          >(1993, 1994, 1998) and a number of typos have been eliminated. There are
          >more to be corrected, including those noted by Pete Williams.

          I've got the second printing. Is there a typo, page 158, s.v. Mark 10:1,
          n.1, in the apparatus, where MS "2747" is cited as support for the reading
          KAI PERAN -- instead of MS 2427? If so, is this one corrected in the
          third printing?

          Also, it appears that on the same page, s.v. Mark 9:49, n.11, in the
          apparatus, that the siglum Theta is missing from the reading (PURI
          ANALWQHSETAI). Is this a typo, too, and was it corrected in the 3rd
          printing?

          >The Bible Societies are grateful to all the careful readers who report
          >typographical errors.

          Thank you.

          Stephen Carlson
          --
          Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
        • Phil Long
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 1999
            > I've got the second printing. Is there a typo, page 158, s.v. Mark 10:1,
            > n.1, in the apparatus, where MS "2747" is cited as support for the reading
            > KAI PERAN -- instead of MS 2427? If so, is this one corrected in the
            > third printing?

            I have the 2nd printing, (1994), I read 2474 as supporint KAI PERAN.

            > >The Bible Societies are grateful to all the careful readers who report
            > >typographical errors.

            Does anyone know if there is a public errata list maintained?

            Phillip J. Long
            Asst. Prof. Bible & Greek
            Grace Bible College
            Grand Rapids, MI
          • Mr. Gary S. Dykes
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 8, 1999
              Dear P. Long,

              First greetings to a Grace Bible College professor, may your tribe increase!

              No complete list of errors exist here on American soil. There are two types
              of errors -- typo and errors in reading their MSS (collation errors).

              Dr. Swanson has tabulated close to 1,000 errors in his works, notably in his
              appendices to Acts, and Galatians, unfortunately his collection of errors in
              the gospels has not been published. You might also refer to his article in
              the journal HARVARD THEOLOGICAL REVIEW, #61, 1968
              page 39ff.

              I have kept a few short lists, but gave up as I noticed over the years that
              the Institute was not correcting its new editions. In their letters of
              thanks to me, they acknowledged receipt of some of the errors I assisted
              them with, but they made no changes.

              In fact one of their prominent collators, told that he (i.e. they) had no
              qualms in using Von Soden's work in their readings!! If I recall they just
              simply reuse old collations over and over. Some of their newer work is
              improving, especially when they reexamine their labors. Their errors are
              also copied into their other data bases (such as the ANTF). I hope they
              clean up their work before investing in digital archiving of their past
              labors. Do not misunderstand me, I support the work in Munster, but I demand
              accuracy. It is a long and probably costly process to correct years and
              years of collations by various scholars and students, I hope they do it.

              For now, purchase your own films and do your own collations, and or triple
              check published editions, but do not blindly trust any.

              To date, Tregelles' edition and Tischendorf's 8th are very reliable, and
              Swanson's is being perfected and should become the standard for accuracy in
              the next millennium. The IGNTP work on John so far is excellent.

              As said before, these are my opinions for your information. Others will
              disagree in various ways.

              at your service,
              Mr. Gary S. Dykes
              visit this site:
              http://userzweb.lightspeed.net/yhwh3in1/
            • Stephen C. Carlson
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 8, 1999
                At 11:34 AM 12/8/99 -0500, Phil Long wrote:
                >> I've got the second printing. Is there a typo, page 158, s.v. Mark 10:1,
                >> n.1, in the apparatus, where MS "2747" is cited as support for the reading
                >> KAI PERAN -- instead of MS 2427? If so, is this one corrected in the
                >> third printing?
                >
                >I have the 2nd printing, (1994), I read 2474 as supporint KAI PERAN.

                How embarrassing of me to make a typo in a post about typos! Yes,
                you are indeed correct.

                Is there anyone with the third printing who would check to see if these
                typos have been corrected?

                Stephen Carlson
                --
                Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
              • Klaus Wachtel
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 9, 1999
                  "Stephen C. Carlson" schrieb:

                  > At 11:34 AM 12/8/99 -0500, Phil Long wrote:
                  > >> I've got the second printing. Is there a typo, page 158, s.v. Mark 10:1,
                  > >> n.1, in the apparatus, where MS "2747" is cited as support for the reading
                  > >> KAI PERAN -- instead of MS 2427? If so, is this one corrected in the
                  > >> third printing?
                  > >
                  > >I have the 2nd printing, (1994), I read 2474 as supporint KAI PERAN.
                  >
                  > How embarrassing of me to make a typo in a post about typos! Yes,
                  > you are indeed correct.
                  >
                  > Is there anyone with the third printing who would check to see if these
                  > typos have been corrected?
                  >
                  > Stephen Carlson
                  > --
                  > Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
                  > Synoptic Problem Home Page http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/
                  > "Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs chant the words." Shujing 2.35

                  The typo will be corrected in the fourth imprint. Thanks for the hint.

                  Klaus Wachtel, INTF Muenster