tc-list Linnemann again

  • Vicente Dobroruka
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 1999
      Jim West wrote:

      "I sympathize with the plight of children in "third" world countries; but
      you
      have raised an important issue. If folk in Latin America are so concerned
      with the welfare of their children, then why do any of them have computers,
      internet access, or subscriptions to academic lists? Are you not
      criticising Europe and N. America for extravagences which you yourself also
      make use of? If south america's theologians have no patience with European
      scholarship well and good- I have little patience with lots of things
      myself. But it is a little unfair to paint N. American scholarship as some
      sort of wicked selfish monster simply because other areas have not the
      resources to acquire similar abundance".

      I couldn't have said better, Jim. By the way: I am Brazilian, deeply
      interested in TC and have studied with the Jesuits at Rio de Janeiro for 8
      years. At the time this involved some quantity of classes with liberation
      theologians of Brazil. In my opinion, what they do has nothing to do with
      theology. And if theology "comes after action", i.e. feeding people is, in
      principle, more important than TC, the remark of Mr.Gehman reminded me of
      Pol Pot. He had a similar reasoning concerning the role of intellectuals.
      And "Knowledge for knowledge sake is a dinosaur from the Enlightenment"...
      Marxism is also the heritage of the Enlightenment, and much more the
      dinosaur. If we are to feel guilty about TC, then let's leave it right now
      and go to some more important, objective and perfectly material activity.

      Be well,

      Prof.Vicente Dobroruka
      Departamento de História
      Universidade de Brasília