Puzzle (was: Re: tc-list Schmid and Linnemann)

  • U.B.Schmid
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 1999
      Mr. Gary S. Dykes wrote:
      > Dear Dr. U. Schmid,
      >
      > I understand your point, but also consider this one:
      >
      > what about the Doctor who exposed illegal abortion practices at his
      > hospital? He is no longer voted as a good doctor at that hospital. E.
      > Linnemann blew the whistle on some liberal German theologians, so naturally
      > she is no longer respected or regarded by THAT group. E. Linnemann may have
      > a distorted personality, but she was a professor at Marburg, and highly
      > regarded by some. Least of all, she is courageous. I said that she was ONE
      > of Germany's greatest, many would agree that this is true, we each are
      > entitled to our opinions. I respect your personal opinion. For some reason
      > you seem easily disturbed by my opinion, curious.

      I wasn't disturbed by your opinion, Gary. (You will find the background for my
      post in my reply to Dave Washburn.) But now I get increasingly puzzled by the
      twist in your recent post. Initially you were talking about "one of Germany's
      greatest biblical scholars" refering to Eta Linnemann. Now you say "that she
      *was* ONE of Germany's greatest" (emphasis mine) refering to her professorship
      at Marburg (her bloody "liberal" past). Are you really siding with those
      "liberal" professors who once (in the late 60ies/early 70ies) may have thought
      she was/would become a leading biblical scholar?

      Dr. Ulrich Schmid
      U.B.Schmid@...