Re: tc-list e-groups merging +

  • U.B.Schmid
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 27, 1999
      Mr. Gary S. Dykes wrote:

      [...]
      > Not to resurrect an old issue, but here is the URL for a great essay on the
      > "Q" theory, by one of Germany's greatest Biblical scholars.
      >
      > http://www.inexes.com/nt/synoptic_problem/lostq.html

      [...]

      Gary's evaluation of Eta Linnemann is, of course, a matter of personal taste and
      inclination. If you poll German academia, I doubt she would get high figures.

      Dr. Ulrich Schmid
      U.B.Schmid@...
    • Dave Washburn
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 27, 1999
        Ulrich wrote:
        > > Not to resurrect an old issue, but here is the URL for a great essay on the
        > > "Q" theory, by one of Germany's greatest Biblical scholars.
        > >
        > > http://www.inexes.com/nt/synoptic_problem/lostq.html
        > >
        > [...]
        >
        > Gary's evaluation of Eta Linnemann is, of course, a matter of personal taste and
        > inclination. If you poll German academia, I doubt she would get high figures.

        But this is only true since she converted to an Evangelical
        viewpoint. Before that she scored very high, which suggests that
        there's a fair amount of "personal taste and inclination" going on
        there, as well.

        Dave Washburn
        http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
        Psalm 86:11
      • Jim West
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 27, 1999
          At 02:58 PM 11/27/99 +0100, you wrote:
          >Mr. Gary S. Dykes wrote:
          >
          >[...]
          >
          >Gary's evaluation of Eta Linnemann is, of course, a matter of personal
          taste and
          >inclination. If you poll German academia, I doubt she would get high figures.

          i attended a lecture she gave after she burned all her Bultmann and her own
          stuff-- after her "conversion" and she was rude, abrasive, refused to answer
          questions, and told us she was right and all others were wrong.

          Jim

          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

          Jim West, ThD
          jwest@...
          http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
        • Dave Washburn
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 27, 1999

            > >Gary's evaluation of Eta Linnemann is, of course, a matter of personal
            > taste and
            > >inclination. If you poll German academia, I doubt she would get high figures.
            > >

            > i attended a lecture she gave after she burned all her Bultmann and her own
            > stuff-- after her "conversion" and she was rude, abrasive, refused to answer
            > questions, and told us she was right and all others were wrong.

            Gosharootie, I've never heard a "critical" scholar act like that...

            Dave Washburn
            http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
            Psalm 86:11
          • U.B.Schmid
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 29, 1999
              Dave Washburn wrote:
              > Ulrich wrote:
              > > > Not to resurrect an old issue, but here is the URL for a great essay on
              > the
              > > > "Q" theory, by one of Germany's greatest Biblical scholars.
              > > >
              > > > http://www.inexes.com/nt/synoptic_problem/lostq.html
              > > >
              > > [...]
              > >
              > > Gary's evaluation of Eta Linnemann is, of course, a matter of personal
              > taste and
              > > inclination. If you poll German academia, I doubt she would get high
              > figures.
              >
              > But this is only true since she converted to an Evangelical
              > viewpoint. Before that she scored very high, which suggests that
              > there's a fair amount of "personal taste and inclination" going on
              > there, as well.

              To the best of my knowledge the most remarkable academic years of Eta Linnemann
              are the late 60ies and early 70ies with her books "Die Gleichnisse Jesu" and
              "Studien zur Passionsgeschichte". By that time she would have scored not too bad
              within the category "rookie of the decade" - perhaps (recall in those years the
              competion was very tough: M. Hengel, J. Roloff, P. Stuhlmacher, G. Theissen,
              etc.). Yet from the late 70ies throughout the 80ies Eta Linnemann almost
              completely stopped to exert any influence on the scholarly debate. Therefore,
              I'm sceptical about her scores during most of her time as full professor within
              German academia. To put it boldly: Eta Linnemann's scores within academia
              dropped long before she "converted to an Evangelical viewpoint".

              My comment was only meant to put things into perspective. Some listeners
              unfamiliar with German academia could have taken Gary's comment at face value.
              Of course, everybody is entitled to his or her opinion about the status of Eta
              Linnemann as a biblical scholar.

              To your eternal puzzlement I may even add that I read chapters two and three of
              Eta Linnemann's book "Gibt es ein synoptisches Problem?" with growing sympathy.
              It provided me with more and better food for thought than her 1970 book "Studien
              zur Passionsgeschichte".

              Dr. Ulrich Schmid
              U.B.Schmid@...
            • Dave Washburn
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 29, 1999
                [snip]
                > > > Gary's evaluation of Eta Linnemann is, of course, a matter of personal
                > > taste and
                > > > inclination. If you poll German academia, I doubt she would get high
                > > figures.
                > >
                > > But this is only true since she converted to an Evangelical
                > > viewpoint. Before that she scored very high, which suggests that
                > > there's a fair amount of "personal taste and inclination" going on
                > > there, as well.
                >
                > To the best of my knowledge the most remarkable academic years of Eta Linnemann
                > are the late 60ies and early 70ies with her books "Die Gleichnisse Jesu" and
                > "Studien zur Passionsgeschichte". By that time she would have scored not too bad
                > within the category "rookie of the decade" - perhaps (recall in those years the
                > competion was very tough: M. Hengel, J. Roloff, P. Stuhlmacher, G. Theissen,
                > etc.). Yet from the late 70ies throughout the 80ies Eta Linnemann almost
                > completely stopped to exert any influence on the scholarly debate. Therefore,
                > I'm sceptical about her scores during most of her time as full professor within
                > German academia. To put it boldly: Eta Linnemann's scores within academia
                > dropped long before she "converted to an Evangelical viewpoint".

                I could ask what the basis for these "scores" is and how anyone
                knows for sure that they really mean anything, but that would take
                us much too far afield of the purpose of TC-list. In any case, I've
                read other reviews that gave a very different view of her "scores," so
                again the whole thing seems to come down to "personal tastes and
                inclination."

                > My comment was only meant to put things into perspective. Some listeners
                > unfamiliar with German academia could have taken Gary's comment at face value.
                > Of course, everybody is entitled to his or her opinion about the status of Eta
                > Linnemann as a biblical scholar.

                Why thank you :-)

                > To your eternal puzzlement I may even add that I read chapters two and three of
                > Eta Linnemann's book "Gibt es ein synoptisches Problem?" with growing sympathy.
                > It provided me with more and better food for thought than her 1970 book "Studien
                > zur Passionsgeschichte".

                Why should this puzzle me? I too find her arguments both
                interesting and plausible, and I'm not surprised that they caught
                your attention, as well. Hardly an "eternal puzzlement." And since
                this thread has nothing to do with TC, I'm going to bow out of it.

                Dave Washburn
                http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
                Psalm 86:11