Re: tc-list Chrysostomos on John

  • DGK TAYLOR
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 1999
      > DC Parker in his book "The Living Text" mentions in a footnote the
      > multi-volume opus of Boismard and Lamouille "Un ´evangile pré-johannique".

      > Has anybody read this and how well founded are their claims? (that
      > Chrysostom used an earlier version of John.)

      There is a devastating critique of their use of evidence by Jeff
      Childers ("The Syriac Evidence for the 'Pre-Johannine Text' of the
      Gospel: A Study in Method" pp.49-85) in a volume I edited (this is
      not advertising, honest!) 'Studies in the Early Text of the Gospels
      and Acts' (= Texts and Studies III.1; Birmingham 1999 - US edition
      by Scholars Press due later this month!).

      Happy reading!

      David Taylor

      Dr David G.K.Taylor email: d.g.k.taylor@...
      Department of Theology, tel: 0121-414 5666
      University of Birmingham, fax: 0121-414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT,
      U.K.