Re: tc-list Turkish Version

  • Maurice A. Robinson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 1999
      On Tue, 02 Nov 1999 18:22:55 -0700 "robert s. morse"
      <bmorse@...> writes:

      >Kurt Aland's Kurzgefasste Liste lists eighteenth-century minuscule
      >1325 as a bilingual Greek-Turkish manuscript. This seems very unusual
      and
      >interesting. Does anyone know whether the Turkish text is of medieval
      >origin or merely a modern version? Thanks in advance for any help.

      >From my notes on this MS:

      The Greek is in one column, the Turkish in the second column, but written
      in Greek letters. Dated AD 1724. Catchwords appear at the bottom of each
      column for both the Greek and Turkish to indicate the first word on the
      obviously suggests possible copying from a printed edition. I at least
      can state that, once scribal errors are eliminated, the Greek text (since
      I don't read Turkish) aligns almost exactly with the AD 1514
      Complutensian Polyglot text as opposed to that found in other TR
      traditions. This in itself makes the Greek-transliterated Turkish portion
      suspicious as regards origin.

      The suspicions are increased if one reads the interesting history of the
      early Turkish versions in Paul H. Nelson, "Western Turkish Versions of
      the Bible," _Bible Translator_ 17 (1966) 133-138. The pertinent portion
      can be summarized as follows:

      AD 1666 -- first Turkish translation made by Ali Bey. Printed only in
      1819 AD (rev. ed. 1827). Bey's handwritten MS lay in Leyden awaiting
      publication during the intervening century and a half.

      AD 1819 -- another translation into Armeno-Turkish by Seraphim the
      Armenian, published 1819 (rev. ed. 1831).

      AD 1826 (and this perhaps the most pertinent to the matter of MS 1325) --
      a _transliteration into Greek characters_ made of Ali Bey's translation
      by H. D. Leeves. (NT printed 1826, rev. ed. 1839).

      This article thus makes it appear that a Turkish version in
      transliterated Greek script did _not_ exist before AD 1826. If so, the
      colophon date of MS 1325 may have been either misread or simply erroneous
      (deliberately so or otherwise). One of course would need to compare MS
      1325 against Leeves' transliterated Bey version to confirm this, but the
      matter seems highly suspicious.

      Maurice A. Robinson
      Professor of NT and Greek
      Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
      Wake Forest, North Carolina