tc-list Turkish Version

  • robert s. morse
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 1999
      Dear tc-ers:

      Kurt Aland's Kurzgefasste Liste lists eighteenth-century minuscule 1325
      as a bilingual Greek-Turkish manuscript. This seems very unusual and
      interesting. Does anyone know whether the Turkish text is of medieval
      origin or merely a modern version? Thanks in advance for any help.

      Bob Morse
    • Maurice A. Robinson
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 1999
        On Tue, 02 Nov 1999 18:22:55 -0700 "robert s. morse"
        <bmorse@...> writes:

        >Kurt Aland's Kurzgefasste Liste lists eighteenth-century minuscule
        >1325 as a bilingual Greek-Turkish manuscript. This seems very unusual
        and
        >interesting. Does anyone know whether the Turkish text is of medieval
        >origin or merely a modern version? Thanks in advance for any help.

        >From my notes on this MS:

        The Greek is in one column, the Turkish in the second column, but written
        in Greek letters. Dated AD 1724. Catchwords appear at the bottom of each
        column for both the Greek and Turkish to indicate the first word on the
        obviously suggests possible copying from a printed edition. I at least
        can state that, once scribal errors are eliminated, the Greek text (since
        I don't read Turkish) aligns almost exactly with the AD 1514
        Complutensian Polyglot text as opposed to that found in other TR
        traditions. This in itself makes the Greek-transliterated Turkish portion
        suspicious as regards origin.

        The suspicions are increased if one reads the interesting history of the
        early Turkish versions in Paul H. Nelson, "Western Turkish Versions of
        the Bible," _Bible Translator_ 17 (1966) 133-138. The pertinent portion
        can be summarized as follows:

        AD 1666 -- first Turkish translation made by Ali Bey. Printed only in
        1819 AD (rev. ed. 1827). Bey's handwritten MS lay in Leyden awaiting
        publication during the intervening century and a half.

        AD 1819 -- another translation into Armeno-Turkish by Seraphim the
        Armenian, published 1819 (rev. ed. 1831).

        AD 1826 (and this perhaps the most pertinent to the matter of MS 1325) --
        a _transliteration into Greek characters_ made of Ali Bey's translation
        by H. D. Leeves. (NT printed 1826, rev. ed. 1839).

        This article thus makes it appear that a Turkish version in
        transliterated Greek script did _not_ exist before AD 1826. If so, the
        colophon date of MS 1325 may have been either misread or simply erroneous
        (deliberately so or otherwise). One of course would need to compare MS
        1325 against Leeves' transliterated Bey version to confirm this, but the
        matter seems highly suspicious.

        Maurice A. Robinson
        Professor of NT and Greek
        Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
        Wake Forest, North Carolina