tc-list KJV manuscript

  • Dr. Ron Minton
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 1999
      I received the post below on the loss of the original KJV
      manuscript. I know the KJV translators worked from non-bound
      editions of Bishops' Bible that were newly printed for them because
      the Bishops' was the base for the KJV. I know little about an
      actual manuscript that they wrote out by hand as the final
      document for the printers to work from. I have a letter from FF
      Bruce who once told me that the non-existence of the manuscript
      is difficult to prove. This at made me assume that something is
      known about such a document. Can anyone give additional
      information on this subject?

      <<<HISTORICAL CATALOGUE OF PRINTED EDITIONS OF THE
      HOLY SCRIPTURE IN THE LIBRARY OF THE BRITISH AND
      FOREIGN BIBLE SOCIETY by T.H. Darlow and H. F. Moule- vol. 1,
      pp. 134-5 notes the last recorded reference to the KJV translators'
      manuscript is in a tract dated 1660. They suggest that the ms.
      perished in the London Fire. At any rate, it has not been seen
      since. M'Clintock-Strong's CYCLOPEDIA OF BIBLICAL,
      THEOLOGICAL AND ECCLESIASTICAL LITERATURE, vol. 1,
      p. 562 also notes the loss of the KJV ms.>>>

      Ron Minton
    • Dr. Ron Minton
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 15, 1999
        I received nothing on this before so I will try one more time.
        I received the post below on the loss of the original KJV
        manuscript. I know the KJV translators worked from non-bound
        editions of Bishops' Bible that were newly printed for them because
        the Bishops' was the base for the KJV. I know little about an actual
        manuscript that they wrote out by hand as the final document for
        the printers to work from. I have a letter from FF Bruce who once
        told me that the non-existence of the manuscript (an absolute
        negative) is difficult to prove. This made me assume that such a
        document did at least exist. Can anyone give additional
        information on this subject?
        <<<HISTORICAL CATALOGUE OF PRINTED EDITIONS OF THE
        HOLY SCRIPTURE IN THE LIBRARY OF THE BRITISH AND
        FOREIGN BIBLE SOCIETY by T.H. Darlow and H. F. Moule- vol. 1,
        pp. 134-5 notes the last recorded reference to the KJV translators'
        manuscript is in a tract dated 1660. They suggest that the ms.
        perished in the London Fire. At any rate, it has not been seen since.
        M'Clintock-Strong's CYCLOPEDIA OF BIBLICAL, THEOLOGICAL AND
        ECCLESIASTICAL LITERATURE, vol. 1, p. 562 also notes the loss of the
        KJV ms.>>>

        Ron Minton
      • Harold P. Scanlin
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 17, 1999
          I'm not sure it is certain what the "manuscript they [the translators]
          wrote out by hand" actually was. There were reported to be 40 unbound
          copies of the 1602 Bishop's version used by the KJV committees. One of
          these marked up copies survives in the Bodleian, Bibl. Eng. 1602 b.I. Ward
          Allen and Edward Jacobs have published a diplomatic edition of the Gospels
          (_The coming of the King James Gospels_, Fayetteville: U. of Arkansas
          Press, 1995). Allen considers the annotations to include intermediate
          changes proposed for the KJV.

          I think one ought to weigh with caution what "the Manuscript Copy"
          mentioned in a decidedly polemic tract (1660?) actually was. Did some of
          the Bishops' Bible copies actually contain all of the final decisions of
          the KJV translators, and could this be described as "the Manuscript Copy,"
          or was there a complete manuscript of the entire KJV text written out by
          hand? In a pre-xeroxes, pre-e-files era the former is at least a
          possibility. Remember that Erasmus actually marked up a Greek NT
          manuscript for his printer Froben.

          Harold P. Scanlin
          United Bible Societies
          1865 Broadway