Re: tc-list a Spoonerism

  • Nichael Cramer
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
      At 12:18 PM 11/2/99 -0500, Maurice A. Robinson wrote:
      >On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 17:42:13 -0500 jim west <jwest@...> writes:
      >
      >>you must tell me the manuscript! this is too funny to forget!
      >
      >The MS is 1808, of century xiii, now in Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.
      > [...] QHLAZEIN <--> LIQAZEIN [...]
      >
      >Feel free to use this with students as a bad example of what failure to
      >proofread might lead to. :-)

      While not as humorous, surely the pride[?] of place for worst proofreading
      job must go to codex 109 (in the British Museum). As told in Metzger, the
      original was presumably in two colums, of 28 lines per page.

      In transcriping the Lucan genealogy, the scribe of the present manuscript
      apparently copied by reading across both columns as a single line. The
      result being such readings as "God, son of Aram...", and the whole of
      mankind originating from Phares.

      Nichael

      --
      Nichael Cramer Gather the folks, tell the stories
      nichael@... break the bread. -- John Shea