Re: tc-list a Spoonerism

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999
      On 11/1/99, jim west wrote:

      >At 04:45 PM 11/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
      >
      > >While on the subject of humorous readings: in the Pericope Adulterae one
      > >of the most entertaining I came across was made by (possibly) a dyslexic
      > >scribe in Jn 8:5. There, instead of reading "Moses in the law commanded
      > >such women LIQAZEIN", the scribe wrote QHLAZEIN. :-)
      >
      >you must tell me the manuscript! this is too funny to forget!

      Now, now.

      Let the one who has never made a stupid copying error cast the first...
      er.... :-)

    • jim west
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999
        At 06:35 PM 11/1/99 -0600, you wrote:

        >Now, now.
        >
        >Let the one who has never made a stupid copying error cast the first...
        >er.... :-)

        my motives are pure. I wish to show how scribes could sometimes UTTERLY
        change the sense of a passage with the transposition of a few letters- and
        THIS example is the best I have ever seen.

        Maurice, or anyone, which ms is it?

        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Jim West, ThD
        jwest@...
        http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
      • Maurice A. Robinson
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
          On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 17:42:13 -0500 jim west <jwest@...> writes:

          >you must tell me the manuscript! this is too funny to forget!

          The MS is 1808, of century xiii, now in Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.

          As my notes on the collation sheet state: "terrible scribe -- terrible
          corrector!", and this is exemplified throughout the PA portion. In Jn 8:5
          the original scribe wrote the humorous QHLAZEIN by metathesis; this was
          corrected by a later hand to LHQAZEIN by erasing and switching only the Q
          and L, thus retaining the itacism H instead of correcting fully to
          LIQAZEIN.

          Feel free to use this with students as a bad example of what failure to
          proofread might lead to. :-)

          Maurice A. Robinson
          Professor of NT and Greek
          Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
          Wake Forest, North Carolina

        • Nichael Cramer
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
            At 12:18 PM 11/2/99 -0500, Maurice A. Robinson wrote:
            >On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 17:42:13 -0500 jim west <jwest@...> writes:
            >
            >>you must tell me the manuscript! this is too funny to forget!
            >
            >The MS is 1808, of century xiii, now in Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.
            > [...] QHLAZEIN <--> LIQAZEIN [...]
            >
            >Feel free to use this with students as a bad example of what failure to
            >proofread might lead to. :-)

            While not as humorous, surely the pride[?] of place for worst proofreading
            job must go to codex 109 (in the British Museum). As told in Metzger, the
            original was presumably in two colums, of 28 lines per page.

            In transcriping the Lucan genealogy, the scribe of the present manuscript
            apparently copied by reading across both columns as a single line. The
            result being such readings as "God, son of Aram...", and the whole of
            mankind originating from Phares.

            Nichael

            --
            Nichael Cramer Gather the folks, tell the stories
            nichael@... break the bread. -- John Shea