Re: tc-list a Spoonerism

  • Maurice A. Robinson
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999
      On Sat, 30 Oct 1999 15:01:15 PST "Vinton A. Dearing"
      <dearing@...> writes:

      >In I Timothy 6:14 the scribe of 010 (or F) wrote THPHSE SAI instead
      >of THPHSAI SE. Either the corrector did not notice, or he accepted the
      >spellings as phonetic or he enjoyed the Spoonerism.

      While on the subject of humorous readings: in the Pericope Adulterae one
      of the most entertaining I came across was made by (possibly) a dyslexic
      scribe in Jn 8:5. There, instead of reading "Moses in the law commanded
      such women LIQAZEIN", the scribe wrote QHLAZEIN. :-)

      Thankfully this was a singular reading, and did not perpetuate.

      Maurice A. Robinson
      Professor of NT and Greek
      Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
      Wake Forest, North Carolina

    • jim west
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999

        >While on the subject of humorous readings: in the Pericope Adulterae one
        >of the most entertaining I came across was made by (possibly) a dyslexic
        >scribe in Jn 8:5. There, instead of reading "Moses in the law commanded
        >such women LIQAZEIN", the scribe wrote QHLAZEIN. :-)

        you must tell me the manuscript! this is too funny to forget!

        Best,
        Jim

        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Jim West, ThD
        jwest@...
        http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999
          On 11/1/99, jim west wrote:

          >At 04:45 PM 11/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
          >
          > >While on the subject of humorous readings: in the Pericope Adulterae one
          > >of the most entertaining I came across was made by (possibly) a dyslexic
          > >scribe in Jn 8:5. There, instead of reading "Moses in the law commanded
          > >such women LIQAZEIN", the scribe wrote QHLAZEIN. :-)
          >
          >you must tell me the manuscript! this is too funny to forget!

          Now, now.

          Let the one who has never made a stupid copying error cast the first...
          er.... :-)

        • jim west
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999

            >Now, now.
            >
            >Let the one who has never made a stupid copying error cast the first...
            >er.... :-)

            my motives are pure. I wish to show how scribes could sometimes UTTERLY
            change the sense of a passage with the transposition of a few letters- and
            THIS example is the best I have ever seen.

            Maurice, or anyone, which ms is it?

            +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            Jim West, ThD
            jwest@...
            http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
          • Maurice A. Robinson
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
              On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 17:42:13 -0500 jim west <jwest@...> writes:

              >you must tell me the manuscript! this is too funny to forget!

              The MS is 1808, of century xiii, now in Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.

              As my notes on the collation sheet state: "terrible scribe -- terrible
              corrector!", and this is exemplified throughout the PA portion. In Jn 8:5
              the original scribe wrote the humorous QHLAZEIN by metathesis; this was
              corrected by a later hand to LHQAZEIN by erasing and switching only the Q
              and L, thus retaining the itacism H instead of correcting fully to
              LIQAZEIN.

              Feel free to use this with students as a bad example of what failure to
              proofread might lead to. :-)

              Maurice A. Robinson
              Professor of NT and Greek
              Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
              Wake Forest, North Carolina

            • Nichael Cramer
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
                At 12:18 PM 11/2/99 -0500, Maurice A. Robinson wrote:
                >On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 17:42:13 -0500 jim west <jwest@...> writes:
                >
                >>you must tell me the manuscript! this is too funny to forget!
                >
                >The MS is 1808, of century xiii, now in Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.
                > [...] QHLAZEIN <--> LIQAZEIN [...]
                >
                >Feel free to use this with students as a bad example of what failure to
                >proofread might lead to. :-)

                While not as humorous, surely the pride[?] of place for worst proofreading
                job must go to codex 109 (in the British Museum). As told in Metzger, the
                original was presumably in two colums, of 28 lines per page.

                In transcriping the Lucan genealogy, the scribe of the present manuscript
                apparently copied by reading across both columns as a single line. The
                result being such readings as "God, son of Aram...", and the whole of
                mankind originating from Phares.

                Nichael

                --
                Nichael Cramer Gather the folks, tell the stories
                nichael@... break the bread. -- John Shea