tc-list a Spoonerism

  • Vinton A. Dearing
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 1999
      In I Timothy 6:14 the scribe of 010 (or F) wrote THPHSE SAI instead
      of THPHSAI SE. Either the corrector did not notice, or he accepted the
      spellings as phonetic or he enjoyed the Spoonerism.
      If any of you have downloaded my computer programs for textual
      criticism from my web page (http://www.english.ucla.edu/dearing/)
      you should make a correction in the QRING program in section [12]
      largering: in this section, the names first and last should always be
      changed to first6 and last6 (but only in this section). Otherwise the
      program may go into an endless loop. The correction has been made on
      the web page. The changes begin just before the sixf paragraph
      (change "first = sixer" to "first6 = sixer") and end in the lastf paragraph
      (last change, change "lastsixer = last - 1" to "lastsixer = last6 -
      1")
    • Maurice A. Robinson
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999
        On Sat, 30 Oct 1999 15:01:15 PST "Vinton A. Dearing"
        <dearing@...> writes:

        >In I Timothy 6:14 the scribe of 010 (or F) wrote THPHSE SAI instead
        >of THPHSAI SE. Either the corrector did not notice, or he accepted the
        >spellings as phonetic or he enjoyed the Spoonerism.

        While on the subject of humorous readings: in the Pericope Adulterae one
        of the most entertaining I came across was made by (possibly) a dyslexic
        scribe in Jn 8:5. There, instead of reading "Moses in the law commanded
        such women LIQAZEIN", the scribe wrote QHLAZEIN. :-)

        Thankfully this was a singular reading, and did not perpetuate.

        Maurice A. Robinson
        Professor of NT and Greek
        Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
        Wake Forest, North Carolina

      • jim west
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999

          >While on the subject of humorous readings: in the Pericope Adulterae one
          >of the most entertaining I came across was made by (possibly) a dyslexic
          >scribe in Jn 8:5. There, instead of reading "Moses in the law commanded
          >such women LIQAZEIN", the scribe wrote QHLAZEIN. :-)

          you must tell me the manuscript! this is too funny to forget!

          Best,
          Jim

          +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Jim West, ThD
          jwest@...
          http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999
            On 11/1/99, jim west wrote:

            >At 04:45 PM 11/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
            >
            > >While on the subject of humorous readings: in the Pericope Adulterae one
            > >of the most entertaining I came across was made by (possibly) a dyslexic
            > >scribe in Jn 8:5. There, instead of reading "Moses in the law commanded
            > >such women LIQAZEIN", the scribe wrote QHLAZEIN. :-)
            >
            >you must tell me the manuscript! this is too funny to forget!

            Now, now.

            Let the one who has never made a stupid copying error cast the first...
            er.... :-)

          • jim west
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999

              >Now, now.
              >
              >Let the one who has never made a stupid copying error cast the first...
              >er.... :-)

              my motives are pure. I wish to show how scribes could sometimes UTTERLY
              change the sense of a passage with the transposition of a few letters- and
              THIS example is the best I have ever seen.

              Maurice, or anyone, which ms is it?

              +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
              Jim West, ThD
              jwest@...
              http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
            • Maurice A. Robinson
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
                On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 17:42:13 -0500 jim west <jwest@...> writes:

                >you must tell me the manuscript! this is too funny to forget!

                The MS is 1808, of century xiii, now in Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.

                As my notes on the collation sheet state: "terrible scribe -- terrible
                corrector!", and this is exemplified throughout the PA portion. In Jn 8:5
                the original scribe wrote the humorous QHLAZEIN by metathesis; this was
                corrected by a later hand to LHQAZEIN by erasing and switching only the Q
                and L, thus retaining the itacism H instead of correcting fully to
                LIQAZEIN.

                Feel free to use this with students as a bad example of what failure to
                proofread might lead to. :-)

                Maurice A. Robinson
                Professor of NT and Greek
                Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
                Wake Forest, North Carolina

              • Nichael Cramer
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
                  At 12:18 PM 11/2/99 -0500, Maurice A. Robinson wrote:
                  >On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 17:42:13 -0500 jim west <jwest@...> writes:
                  >
                  >>you must tell me the manuscript! this is too funny to forget!
                  >
                  >The MS is 1808, of century xiii, now in Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.
                  > [...] QHLAZEIN <--> LIQAZEIN [...]
                  >
                  >Feel free to use this with students as a bad example of what failure to
                  >proofread might lead to. :-)

                  While not as humorous, surely the pride[?] of place for worst proofreading
                  job must go to codex 109 (in the British Museum). As told in Metzger, the
                  original was presumably in two colums, of 28 lines per page.

                  In transcriping the Lucan genealogy, the scribe of the present manuscript
                  apparently copied by reading across both columns as a single line. The
                  result being such readings as "God, son of Aram...", and the whole of
                  mankind originating from Phares.

                  Nichael

                  --
                  Nichael Cramer Gather the folks, tell the stories
                  nichael@... break the bread. -- John Shea