Re: Holmes Overview

  • rachel@ms1.hinet.net
    Message 1 of 1714 , Nov 12, 2001
      In
      <Pine.SUN.3.91.960607131503.28766A-100000@...>,
      on 06/07/96
      Once again I change from my lurking mode:
      I wrestle with how I can make my input more useful to
      the others on this list.... Since I am not a TC active member
      I basically read the posts and then together with outside
      reading form my base of opinion. Thus to many this current
      post will only appear to be a "Amen!" or "I agree"
      thus robbing it of its voice in the crowded arena. If anyone
      can give me some better suggestion as to how to make
      my "vote" heard more clearly please do so.....
      Thus I have snipped out large portions to basically state
      my *reasoned out* opinion.....

      ---->1) I think it is important to distinguish between textual
      --->*methodology* and textual *history* ....
      --- modern---eclecticism still proceeds as if it has no theory of textual
      ---transmission,
      This is not a mere---generalization, but applies with equal
      validity to the current praxis of both rigorous and reasoned
      eclecticism.

      This is a very significant point that Robinson has made
      and in my reasoning it justifies why I support and
      accept
      his methodology.....!!

      There is the matter of developing a
      consistent comprehensive theory of transmission and -then-
      evaluating individual readings within the framework of that
      particular theory.

      -My methodology in divided readings would still require ---work
      with only those readings which show a significant degree ---of
      support within the transmissional history of the readings,

      At least Robinson is very consistent in using
      his methodology which is more than I can
      attest
      concerning other so-called Byzantine
      promoters... <g>

      --->The *method* outlined by, e.g., the Alands, Metzger, Colwell,
      ---Amphoux, >Fee, Holmes, etc....-- and, I would suggest,
      ---Robinson and Waltz--is >very, very similar.
      Since I know Fee and Robinson
      For *me* the best scenario would be a
      an email exchange between these two
      incredibly gifted Scholars..... This is due
      to personal exchange with each one in
      which I have the highest esteem for both
      Scholars for different reasons.
      Unforunately there is already too much
      rhetoric
      in this field for this too take place.....
      <groan>

      ---I appreciate the comment, but I more than anyone else realize
      ---how undeveloped and unexplored is the territory within my
      ---theory. Just so long as it clearly gets differentiated from
      ---the KJV/TR crowd, as well as from that of Pickering or
      ---Hodges/Farstad, I will be content.
      This was my point and observation above with the
      smiley!!!
      I am not too favorably impressed with that of
      Pickering
      or Hodges/Farstad and esp. I grow weary with the
      rhetoric of the KJV/TR crowd. I also do not
      appreciate
      being squeezed by most of the TC teaching aids to
      follow the Alands, Fee, et al. route.......
      Again this is why I have so much esteem for M.
      Robinson
      in that he has taken a lot of time explaining his
      position
      and helping me to more clearly understand Textual
      Criticism as a field of study rather than being a
      salesman
      for his position....! Which is something I do
      *not* find
      readily available else where.....
      ---
      Thanks for taking the time to view this...........

      Respond to Jim at the following address
      rachel@...

      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997