tc-list A TAD MORE

  • Mr. Gary S. Dykes
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 1999
      I just finished examining all of the usages of )Sn^K --- I hate this
      transcription! does Adair have for "shin" S or $?? ... all of the usages
      in the NT, and all are of the usual emphatic form. The construct form of
      this word is rare.

      Thus, if all forms in the NT (I have no concordance for the OT Syriac) are
      morphologically the emphatic state, the presence or non-presence of an
      underlying Greek article must be deduced from the context. Usually, and I
      mean usually, this is not too difficult such as at Mt. 12:23, "...all THE
      crowds marveled".

      But your contention is valid, as in some cases the Syriac suffix (for an
      emphatic state) does not always imply a Greek article. In which case one
      should follow the best text of the original. In the case of Mark 3:20, the
      Greek text is clearly split, so here you have a good case against Legg,
      and I concur with you that here, Leg was too presumptuous with the Syriac,
      and with the Ethiopic.

      Nor does the Latin text of Mark 3:20 present any way of suspecting an
      underlying article. Again your warning is correct. How often does Legg do
      this? He could have said that the Syriac and Ethiopic may support an
      article, that would have been acceptable. In any case I appreciate your
      warning, here.

      at your service,
      Mr. Gary S. Dykes