Re: tc-list Philosophical Approaches?

  • Professor L.W. Hurtado
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 1999
      Sorry if this indicates a blindspot in reading (my own research
      programme over the last 10 yrs or so has been mainly on other
      matters), but could Maurice Robinson direct me/us to the place(s)
      where his approach to textual history is given? In a recent posting
      he distinguishes it from other Majority Text people, some of whose
      publications I know. A list such as this doesn't afford the right kind
      of medium for lengthy and serious writing, so I would like to read
      what Robinson has to say. Esp. since my analysis of other
      Majority Text efforts and my own efforts at textual history have left
      me unpersuaded of that view.
      Larry Hurtado

      L. W. Hurtado
      University of Edinburgh,
      New College
      Mound Place
      Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
      Phone: 0131-650-8920
      Fax: 0131-650-6579
      E-mail: L.Hurtado@...
    • Maurice A. Robinson
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 12, 1999
        On Fri, 1 Oct 1999 09:40:12 +000 "Professor L.W. Hurtado"
        <hurtadol@...> writes:

        >Sorry if this indicates a blindspot in reading (my own research
        >programme over the last 10 yrs or so has been mainly on other
        >matters), but could Maurice Robinson direct me/us to the place(s)
        >where his approach to textual history is given?

        I apologize for the lateness of this reply, but our seminary was on its
        first Fall break all last week, and during that time I was busily
        preaching and spelunking in West Virginia (not at the same time).

        Rather than occupy space on the list, selected bibliographical data was
        sent privately to Prof. Hurtado (in case anyone was wondering).

        > A list such as this doesn't afford the right
        >kind of medium for lengthy and serious writing

        Definitely agreed.

        >Esp. since my analysis of other Majority Text efforts and my own efforts
        at textual >history have left me unpersuaded of that view.

        Nor do I expect anyone who follows a different methodology to be
        persuaded by my comments. There are certain presuppositional aspects
        which affect any theory (modern eclecticism or any other) which tend to
        obviate cross-over to a wholly different theoretical position, since so
        to do would require modification or abandonment of those presuppositional
        principles. Suffice it to say that my own text-critical explorations
        caused me to abandon the reasoned eclectic position which I held before
        the early 1970s.

        Maurice A. Robinson
        Professor of NT and Greek
        Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
        Wake Forest, North Carolina