tc-list Josephus

  • Vicente Dobroruka
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 1999
      Dear Joseph,

      Josephus has a completely different rendering of the Testimonium in
      Slavonic. Spurious or not, the text reads Jesus' story quite differently,
      even if I have never seen the mss. myself. I know they are dealt with in
      P.Pascal. La prise de Jérusalem. Paris, 1961, and there is also a book that
      is soon to be released called Josephus' Jewish War and Its Slavonic Version
      : A Synoptic Comparison (Arbeiten Zur Geschichte Des Antiken Judentums Und
      Des Urchristentums, Bd. 46.), by Lyubov V. Osinkina (Editor) and Bernard
      Orchard (Editor). However, this will cost US$ 212.00.
      If the Testimonium interests you that much, you can also look up the
      account of the Testimonium in the Arabic version of Agapius (10th century, I
      think). This can be found in a most profound analysis in Shlomo Pines. An
      Arabic Version of the Testimonium Flavianum. Jerusalem. Isareli Academy for
      the Sciences and Humanities, 1971.

      Be well,

      Prof. Vicente Dobroruka