Re: tc-list Re: Munster and others

  • Glen Thompson
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 22, 1999
      I can remember beey warmly received as a young student by the
      people at Muenster, and from all I hear they are still as helpful as
      possible.

      In the past decade I have visited dozens of manuscript libraries
      across Europe, and with very few exceptions, they have all been quite
      willing to allow perusal of their manuscripts and/or microfilms. At
      times the Laurenziana in Florence gets overly protective and you need
      letters of introduction to get in (a good idea for any research
      trip), and that might happen anywhere. The only places that is truly
      difficult to get into are the monasteries of Mt. Athos (and probably
      the other monasteries farther east, but I have not attempted them.).

      Some libraries, like the Bibl. Nationale in Paris are increasingly
      asking visiting scholars to use their microfilms rather than the
      manuscripts themselves, and I hope that these places remain
      reasonable about making exceptions when it is important for the
      scholar to see the actual document. But these measures are being
      forced on libraries because of the theft that continues to occur even
      under very strict policies (as at the Vatican several years ago).

      My own experience has been that most libraries will arrange to make
      microfilm copies for you, if requested, but that quickly becomes
      expensive. So once again you get back to the dollar issues.
      Increased funding for the IGNTP would help solve many of the issues
      there, although I believe a change in location to a better endowed
      sight (such as the Hill Monastic Microfilm Library in Collegeville
      MN) would produce a more stable atmosphere for future work.

      Glen Thompson