tc-list Re: Open Access

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 1999
      About Muenster:
      I think the main problem here is money. This is not a BIG INSTITUTE. It is
      some people with fixed-term contracts doing their work. They don't have the
      time and money to process world-wide requests.
      If you need mss photos, go and get them. Nobody has the duty to provide you
      with them. Of course, getting a high-res. scan via internet is cool, but not
      every institution has the adequate means to do so.

      But the main point was: The bad condition of the material itself.
      I think this is a problem of the world-wide church. It is their job to safe
      the originals. I think the money is there to do this, but it needs a good
      manager to carry this out in a big joint-venture.

      And please call it: THE BIBLE GENOM PROJECT.
      (Fill in the empty spaces)

      Begun in ______, the Bible Genome Project is a ___-year effort coordinated
      by the _____________________. The project originally was planned to last ___
      years, but rapid technological advances have accelerated the expected
      completion date to ______. Project goals are to

      - identify all the estimated ________ manuscripts of the Greek New Testament
      - determine the exact content of all these manuscripts and specify their
      differences.
      - store this information in databases,
      - develop tools for data analysis, and
      - address the ethical, legal, and social issues (ELSI) that may arise from
      the project.

      (It is quite simple to copy and paste more stuff from the HGP and replace
      Human with Bible, DNA with manuscript etc...)

      Best wishes
      Wieland
      <><
      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de