Re: tc-list Angels have no copyrights!

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 1999
      At 08:20 AM 9/3/99 -0400, Patrick Durusau wrote:
      >Would anyone care to guess when the copyright expired on most manuscript
      >witnesses to the OT and NT? Be aware that the addition of variants and
      >arrangement of a public text can lead to a work that has valid copyright
      >protection. I am interested in getting a formal legal opinion on whether
      >copying the public parts qualifies as public domain text once I strip
      >out the authorial additions that give rise to copyright status.

      If you are seeking legal advice, it is best to seek a competent
      attorney, who will be able render an opinion after careful
      consideration of the relevant facts, such as the identity and
      nature of the text, exactly which portions are proposed to
      be copied, license, and fair use factors.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
    • rlmullen@netpath.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 1999
        I have a Packard Humanities Institute CD Rom of Greek Documentary Texts
        that got around the copyright problem by doing just what Durusau suggests,
        stripping out the critical apparatus and printing straight text. Even then
        I have use of that CD Rom only by a licensing agreement. Perhaps the folk
        at Packard could point you toward someone with competent legal advice.
        --Rod Mullen