tc-list Angels have no copyrights!

  • Patrick Durusau
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 1999
      Greetings,

      The topic of copyright of biblical manuscripts is important to text
      critics since some assertions of copyright have impaired dissemination
      of such manuscripts in a variety of forms. The Ninth Circuit Court of
      Appeals has held that the copyright on divinely authored materials is
      held "first human being who compiled, coordinated and arranged." the
      work. If you would like to discuss copyright of biblical materials or
      challenges to such claims please contact me off list.

      For further information on the court decision see:

      Non-technical announcement:
      http://www.ljextra.com/copyright/0623urantia.html

      Legal decision:
      URANTIA FOUNDATION v. MAAHERRA
      http://www.ljextra.com/cgi-bin/f_cat?prod/ljextra/data/external/1997/06/970628.c09

      Would anyone care to guess when the copyright expired on most manuscript
      witnesses to the OT and NT? Be aware that the addition of variants and
      arrangement of a public text can lead to a work that has valid copyright
      protection. I am interested in getting a formal legal opinion on whether
      copying the public parts qualifies as public domain text once I strip
      out the authorial additions that give rise to copyright status.

      Patrick

      --
      Patrick Durusau
      Information Technology Services
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 1999
        The whole question(s) about copyright of ancient, edited, restored,
        texts was taken up in a special one-day conference held in the
        Univ of Edinburgh earlier this year, sponsored jointly by the Faculty
        of Divinity and the Centre for Intellectual Propery of the Faculty of
        Law. Dr. Timothy Lim was a co-ordinator, and will, I think, be
        taking some papers to publication. All interested in the questions
        should certainly note the article by Prof. Cindy Alberts Carson,
        "Raiders of the Lost Scrolls: The Right of Scholarly access to the
        Content of Historic Documents," _Michigan Journal of International
        Law_ 16/2(1995): 300-48.

        L. W. Hurtado
        University of Edinburgh,
        New College
        Mound Place
        Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
        Phone: 0131-650-8920
        Fax: 0131-650-6579
        E-mail: L.Hurtado@...
      • Stephen C. Carlson
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 1999
          At 08:20 AM 9/3/99 -0400, Patrick Durusau wrote:
          >Would anyone care to guess when the copyright expired on most manuscript
          >witnesses to the OT and NT? Be aware that the addition of variants and
          >arrangement of a public text can lead to a work that has valid copyright
          >protection. I am interested in getting a formal legal opinion on whether
          >copying the public parts qualifies as public domain text once I strip
          >out the authorial additions that give rise to copyright status.

          If you are seeking legal advice, it is best to seek a competent
          attorney, who will be able render an opinion after careful
          consideration of the relevant facts, such as the identity and
          nature of the text, exactly which portions are proposed to
          be copied, license, and fair use factors.

          Stephen Carlson
          --
          Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
        • rlmullen@netpath.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 4, 1999
            I have a Packard Humanities Institute CD Rom of Greek Documentary Texts
            that got around the copyright problem by doing just what Durusau suggests,
            stripping out the critical apparatus and printing straight text. Even then
            I have use of that CD Rom only by a licensing agreement. Perhaps the folk
            at Packard could point you toward someone with competent legal advice.
            --Rod Mullen