Re: tc-list RE- The Living Text

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 1999
      On 9/1/99, Mr. Gary S. Dykes wrote, in part:

      [ ... ]

      > My thesis is to posit that the possession and reliance upon the
      >indwelling Holy Spirit is mandatory for critical exegesis to proceed.

      To this I must ask a very stupid question: If you and I both practice
      criticism by trusting the "indwelling Holy Spirit," and we disagree,
      how do we proceed?

      Two different scholars practicing scientific methods may produce
      different results, but both should achieve *repeatable* results.
      The Holy Spirit, sad to say, does *not* produce repeatable results,
      or else there would be no profusion of Protestant sects.

      Again, to ask a stupid question, If you trust the Holy Spirit to
      tell you what the Bible says, how can you trust the Bible in the
      first place? If the Spirit tells you that 1 Corinthians 12:3 "ought"
      to read "It is only by the Holy Spirit that one can say 'Jesus be
      cursed,'" how can you prove that wrong? The Spirit told you to
      do it! (And it is no good to say, "No, the Spirit didn't," because
      while I freely concede that it didn't tell *you* that, there is
      no question that others have gotten different messages. The
      point is, how can you, without some form of non-spiritual
      criteria for judgment, tell a "good" spirit from a "bad"?)

      I find this attitude utterly incomprehensible -- and dangerous.