Re: tc-list RE- The Living Text

  • Mike and Jeanne Arcieri
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 1999
      Mr. Gary S. Dykes wrote:

      > It is understood that the canons of textual criticism are very needed
      > and useful, I rely upon them in my work, but the witness of the Holy Spirit
      > is often overlooked. Overlooked because it is not scientifically
      > observable. Both external and internal criteria must be used in decision
      > making, but the Holy Spirit should also be consulted, and only those folks
      > who have a healthy relationship through Christ with God can truly use this
      > powerful tool.

      Gary,

      Although I am not interested in starting a debate along these lines on the TC-LIST (but I would be
      willing to discuss this privately), I would like to ask you a question regarding your methodology:
      you state that

      "the canons of textual criticism are very needed and useful,
      I rely upon them in my work, but the witness of the Holy Spirit
      is often overlooked. Overlooked because it is not scientifically
      observable. Both external and internal criteria must be used
      in decision making, but the Holy Spirit should also be consulted..."

      I infer that your methodology is:

      1 - apply the canons of TC on a select group of variants in order to determine which reading is the
      'original';
      2 - 'consult' the Holy Spirit with regards to identifying the original reading.

      Now since I have your methodology in theory, can you now demonstrate the _practical workings_ of this
      for the following passages?:

      1. Matt. 27:35 ('that it might be fulfilled...')
      2. John 5:7-8 (Johannine Comma)
      3. Acts 8:37 ('and Philip said...')

      Mike Arcieri
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 1999
        On 9/1/99, Mr. Gary S. Dykes wrote, in part:

        [ ... ]

        > My thesis is to posit that the possession and reliance upon the
        >indwelling Holy Spirit is mandatory for critical exegesis to proceed.

        To this I must ask a very stupid question: If you and I both practice
        criticism by trusting the "indwelling Holy Spirit," and we disagree,
        how do we proceed?

        Two different scholars practicing scientific methods may produce
        different results, but both should achieve *repeatable* results.
        The Holy Spirit, sad to say, does *not* produce repeatable results,
        or else there would be no profusion of Protestant sects.

        Again, to ask a stupid question, If you trust the Holy Spirit to
        tell you what the Bible says, how can you trust the Bible in the
        first place? If the Spirit tells you that 1 Corinthians 12:3 "ought"
        to read "It is only by the Holy Spirit that one can say 'Jesus be
        cursed,'" how can you prove that wrong? The Spirit told you to
        do it! (And it is no good to say, "No, the Spirit didn't," because
        while I freely concede that it didn't tell *you* that, there is
        no question that others have gotten different messages. The
        point is, how can you, without some form of non-spiritual
        criteria for judgment, tell a "good" spirit from a "bad"?)

        I find this attitude utterly incomprehensible -- and dangerous.