tc-list Oxyrhynchus Statistics

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 1999
      This is on my rough count the statistics of the theological fragments found
      at Oxyrhynchus (1 - 4449):

      NT-Papyri: 40 (Mt: 11; Jo: 10; Rom: 3; James: 3, Hebr: 2; Rev: 2...)
      NT-vellum: 7
      NT-Apocrypha: 24 (Hermas: 7)
      OT-LXX: 21 (1-5Mose: 9; Psalms: 6)
      OT-Apocrypha: 4 (Tobit: 2)

      other theol. fragments: 27 (homilies, prayers, hymns...)
      Philo: 3

      Most of the fragments are dated to the 3rd or 4th century. Some are dated
      2nd cent. and some 5th and 6th. Two OT-LXX fragments are dated 1st century
      (POxy 3522 and 4443).

      It is interesting that only one late fragment from the prophets (Amos, POxy
      846, VI cent.) has been found. I would have expected at least some Isaiah.

      Best wishes
      Wieland
      <><
      --------------------
      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/

      PS: Please check out my list of NT Papyri at:
      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/texte/Papyri-list.html

      I still don't know what P99 is. Anyone?
    • Glen Thompson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 1999
        Thanks for the statistics, Wieland. However we need to be cautious
        about statements like:

        >It is interesting that only one late fragment from the prophets
        >(Amos, POxy 846, VI cent.) has been found. I would have expected at
        >least some Isaiah.

        One must beware of assuming that what was found is what has been
        published. A wealth of material is still awaiting publication. Some
        of the more recent editors have had little interest in theological
        material and therefore bypassed it in the publication process.
        The current editors are remedying that situation. I have been
        assured that some major New Testament material is still in the
        process of being published -- at least as exciting as the large
        Revelation text in the most recent volume (which I have not seen
        yet).

        Glen L. Thompson