Re: tc-list Reply to Parker's review

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 1999
      At 11:34 AM 8/5/99 -0500, Barrett, David wrote:
      >Recently, Dr. D. C. Parker presented a review of {i}The Complete Text of
      >the Earliest New Testament Manuscripts{xi} (hereafter referred to as CT),
      >editors Philip Comfort and David Barrett, for the online TC journal.
      [...]

      At 12:29 PM 9/2/99 GMT, DC PARKER wrote:
      >I am disappointed to note that Dr Comfort brushes aside two of my
      >three major complaints in the last paragraph. Particularly, he treats my
      >criticism of the lack of dots as though it were of no consequence.

      I would agree that the lack of dots is a serious concern about the
      book, and I am not entirely satisfied that publishing difficulties
      should prevent any presentation of this information, even though
      the preferred form of placing dots under the letters is not
      available. For example, if it is possible to use both bold and
      normal print, then the bold print can be used for letters without
      dots and the normal print for letters with dots or lacunae.

      Although I do not doubt that the decision not to include the
      underdots was driven by the publishers, not the editors, I am
      not entirely convinced that "Publishing constraints required
      their omission from the outset" (p. 15) is really the case for
      technical reasons, because the printed text includes overbars
      for the nomina sacra. I do not understand why the publishers
      would refuse the underdots but allow the overbars; they seem
      equally feasible.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...