tc-list Colossians 1:20 & P46

  • Doug Petrovich
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 1999
      Dear List Subscribers,

      According to UBS3 & UBS4, in Colossians 1:20 P46 is listed as supporting
      the inclusion of the variant di' autou. But in Comfort and Barrett, the
      transcription of P46 omits this second use of the prepositional phrase
      "through Him." Being that I live in Russia, I am not able to consult Kenyon's
      "The Chester Beatty Biblical Papyri: Descriptions and Texts of Twelve
      Manuscripts on Papyrus of the Greek Bible: Fasciculus III: Pauline Epistles"
      (London: Emery Walker Limited, 1936) to see what the facsimile reads.

      Does anyone who is located near a library with this volume have a minute
      to consult the reading in P46 and let me know what he/she finds? The
      Textual Commentary follows the UBS texts in attributing the phrase to P46.
      However, the choice of the committee to include the variant evidently was
      challenged by a vocal minority. Robert Waltz will be greatly disappointed
      to know that the variant was indeed upgraded from a D to a C rating.

      Yours in Novosibirsk,

      Doug Petrovich
      petrovich@...