RE: tc-list Text of the Church Fathers

  • Curt Niccum
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 29, 1999
      You are absolutely correct about the disciplines overlapping. One must be
      aware of the textual traditions of the Fathers before conclusions about
      their New Testament text(s) can be made. (This, of course, was one of
      Burgon's problems, although not necessarily his fault due to the lack of
      critical editions). Marcovich's interest is not in the biblical text. Some
      of his discussions include allusions to biblical material, but not citations
      (as far as I can remember). Although I have not had the time to thoroughly
      investigate his critical edition of Hippolytus' Refutatio, I have noticed
      several places where he "restores" a NT quotation by making it more
      Alexandrian (i.e. conforms it to the Nestle text) apparently without any
      manuscript evidence (at least he supplies none in the aparatus).

      Curt Niccum