Re: tc-list Textual Optimism

  • TOMMY MARKANZIA REKLAM HB
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 28 3:33 PM
      I have been following the discussion about the UBS4 which was triggered,
      I believe, by Wieland Wilker, where he mentions a book by Kent D.
      Clarke. I am not familiar with this book, but would like to point out
      for the list members that there is a review by W. Larry Richards,
      Andrews University on the SBL site (se http reference below)

      Richards conclude his review with stating:

      "I personally found it easy to support the "optimism" toward certainty
      given in UBS4 for the simple reason that I have believed through the
      years that the ratings in UBS1-3 were often too cautious. Frequently I
      have made my own upgrades in the classroom, and, interestingly, done
      so on precisely the same grounds used by Clarke to draw his negative
      conclusions about the optimism of the editors of UBS4, namely, "the
      recognized principles of New Testament textual criticism" (p. 14). But
      the questions Clarke raises are important even if one does not agree
      completely with his conclusions".

      You will find the complete review on:

      www.sbl-site.org/SBL/Reviews/185075649X.html (hope I got that right)

      Tommy Wasserman