Re: tc-list re: barrett's response

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 19, 1999
      On 7/19/99, Perry L. Stepp wrote:

      >Regarding Barret's defense of his book, Robert B. Waltz
      ><waltzmn@...> wrote:
      >

      >>There is something this defense misses: It came from *the author of
      >>the book*. Not exactly an objective source.
      >

      >I don't understand this objection. A scholar feels that his/her work has
      >come under attack--a feeling that is quite justified in this particular
      >case, IMHO. Said author responds by defending his/her work in the arena of
      >public discourse (this forum is certainly an accepted arena for public
      >discourse.) We should not cast aspersions on that defense ("not exactly an
      >objective source") simply because it came from the one "being attacked,"
      >should we?

      I'm not denying the right of the author to defend him/herself. On a
      particularl point of fact, an author has every right to answer
      objections.

      But what are the odds that an author is going to be able to
      objectively assess his or her work? The author will (almost) always
      view things in the best possible light. So I would prefer the
      opinion of an outside investigator.

      Given the number of unfavorable made about this book, I still think
      we need to see an outside, controlled review (not a random list
      of passages) before we can assess the book.

      At least, that's what *I* use reviews for. Obviously, others see
      things very differently....