Re: tc-list N.T. Graece Inquiry

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
      On 7/1/99, Pappyhays@... wrote:

      > These two points being so (including the one on history), should one
      >consider seriously their text at all?

      Oops -- forgot which sig to use on this list. :-) Got it right this
      time. :-)

      But to answer the question: Sure, why not? I'm not saying it's perfect;
      I doubt anyone on this list would consider it the best possible text.
      But every edition ever prepared conforms to *someone's* biases.
      The UBS edition is strongly Alexandrian, but consider the "competition":
      Many would consider Von Soden's text too Byzantine. The text of Vogels
      is even more Byzantine. The texts of Merk and Bover are more eclectic,
      but this also makes them unpredictable. Tischendorf follows Aleph
      too closely. The Majority Text editions are Majority Text editions. :-)

      In addition, the UBS text is the only one to truly take the Bodmer
      papyri (or even the Beatty papyri) into account.

      If someone would pay the cost, I would happily produce a "better"
      edition than the UBS text. I'm sure most on this list would do
      the same. But there isn't much demand at this time. :-)

      The UBS text is not perfect. No text is perfect. That's why we still
      study textual criticism. :-) But if the time comes when you start
      trying to determine what *you* think are the best readings, the
      UBS text, and associated commentary, offer ideas that are worth
      considering.

    • Mike Parsons
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 1999
        Reply to: Re: tc-list N.T. Graece Inquiry
        sorry, i've come into this discussion about mid-stream (i'm not sure which UBS variants originally prompted this discussion), but i would like to mention Kent Clarke's Textual Optimism in the UBS GNT which offers a critique of the general upgrading of variants in the ubsgnt fourth edition. one of clarke's most forceful criticisms is that the committee has failed to provide information for this general upgrade (ie. increase of A readings and decrease of D readings), though clarke himself suggests it has to do generally with the rising stock of the alexandrian text type among the new committee. the commentary on this point does little to help since as far as i can tell, the comments in the second edition are essentially the same and even where the ratings go from c (or in a couple of cases d) to a, there is no revised note in the textual commentary. clarke does discuss a couple of variants and the presumed reasoning by the ubs committee which stood behind the decisions. Most helpful are his statistical tables which trace the history of individual variants throughtout the various ubs editions. my review of clarke's work is to be published in the Bible Translator sometime this summer (perhaps the editor Harold Scanlin can be more precise :-)
        mikeal parsons