Re: tc-list Coptic copy of John older than 200CE?

  • Mark Gipe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 1999
      Thanks for your reply Jack

      Here is the whole quote

      In the book "Insight Guides Egypt" by Houghton Mifflin Company page 50 under
      the title "Early Christianity" it says "Such were the conditions in Egypt
      during the 1st century of the Christian era, when the apostle Mark preached
      in Alexandria. Remains from the period of the diffusion of Christianity in
      Egypt are scant, but New Testament writings found in Bahnasa in Middle Egypt
      date from around the year 200, and a fragment of the gospel of St John
      written in Coptic and found in Upper Egypt, can be dated even earlier."

      Mark Gipe