Re: Baptism in Galilee

  • Charles Miller
    Message 1 of 1714 , Nov 16, 1995
      yOn Thu, 16 Nov 1995, Ivan Ickovits wrote:

      > Wan't this Baptisn just the extension of the jewish ritual of subnersion
      > in a mikvah - i.e. ritual purification before the sabbath, or high
      > holidays etc. or general rites of transition for becoming a bar mitzvah
      > or marriage, etc.?

      I have not heard this theory before. Webb associates the Qumran
      purifications with those that occurred in the Temple. Rebecca Gray talks
      about their relationship to a hypothetical technique for teaching how to
      prophesy. I have not heard of an origin for the purifications performed
      by Bannus and John the Baptist. Some authors do note how *different*
      John's baptism seems to be from Qumran, i.e., a single baptism for the
      forgiveness of sins.

      According to Mani's autobiography, the Elchasaites practised daily
      purification--bodily and of their food.

      Do you have some sources for this thesis?

      Charles David Miller | Reality is not limited to the familiar,
      University of New Mexico | the commonplace, for it consists in huge
      (505) 867-1892 | part of a latent, as yet unspoken future
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997