RE: tc-list Scribal tendencies - Christian Ethics?

  • Lamerson, Sam
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 1999
      Another perhaps fruitful approach might be to consider the question of the
      ethics of scribes who were intentionally changing manuscripts which they
      considered to be Scripture. Did the scribes see the ethical problems
      inherent in intentional changes? Or did they see these changes as ethically
      necessary as a result of the problems that the unchanged passage might
      cause?

      Just a thought

      Sam Lamerson
      Knox Theological Seminary
      --------
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 1999
        Another perhaps fruitful approach might be to consider the question of the
        ethics of scribes who were intentionally changing manuscripts which they
        considered to be Scripture. Did the scribes see the ethical problems
        inherent in intentional changes? Or did they see these changes as ethically
        necessary as a result of the problems that the unchanged passage might
        cause?

        Just a thought

        Sam Lamerson
        Knox Theological Seminary

        Professor Sam Lamerson
        Knox Theological Seminary
        "Where Ministry Comes First!"
        1 800 344-KNOX (5669)
        --------
[...]

      • Professor L.W. Hurtado
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 1999
          In addition to the variants you alluded to (1 Cor 14:34-35 on
          women; anti-Jewish variants in Codex D) which reflect "ethical"
          issues, you might also consider the variation in the "apostolic
          decree" in ACts 15:29. The absence (omission?) of "things
          strangled" may indicate a list of "moral/ethical" commands
          (idolatry, murder, fornication), whereas the presence of "things
          strangled" appears to make the list one of "clean/unclean"
          concerns.

          L. W. Hurtado
          University of Edinburgh,
          New College
          Mound Place
          Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
          Phone: 0131-650-8920
          Fax: 0131-650-6579
          E-mail: L.Hurtado@...
        • TonyProst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 6, 1999
            On this issue, you might check the Secret Mark websites, which I am certain
            someone on this list can refer you to!

            Regards,
            Tony Prost
            All NOnnos All Day
            http://members.aol.com/tonyprost/index.html
          • Dr. Ulrich Schmid
            Message 5 of 9 , May 6, 1999
              To my mind, one of the most complex textual problems involving ethics are the
              synoptic sayings on marriage and divorce (Mk 10.2-12; Mt 5.27-32; Mt 19.3-9; Lk
              16.18). Here you can study the quest for ethical implications of (competing)
              readings along with the vexing problem of harmonization.
              In addition, there are very good expositions of the problem extant.
              I may recommend
              M.W. Holmes, "The Text of the Matthean Divorce Passages: A Comment on the Appeal
              to Harmonization in Textual Decisions", in: JBL 109 (1990) 651-64; and
              D. Parker, The Living Text of the Gospels, Cambridge 1997, pp.57-94.

              Dr. Ulrich Schmid
              U.B.Schmid@...
            • Jack Kilmon
              Message 6 of 9 , May 6, 1999
              • Jack Kilmon
                Message 7 of 9 , May 6, 1999

                  Jack Kilmon wrote:

                  TonyProst@... wrote:

                  > On this issue, you might check the Secret Mark websites, which I am certain
                  > someone on this list can refer you to!

                  http://www.globaltown.com/shawn/secmark.html

                  http://www1.bremen.de/~wie/Secret/secmark_home.html

                  Messed this one up. Should be
                  http://www1.uni-bremen.de/~wie/Secret/secmark.home.html

                  http://home.sol.no/~noetic/secm.htm

                  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Trowbridge/secmark.htm

                  http://www.trends.net/~yuku/bbl/8secmk.htm

                  http://members.xoom.com/jesusquest/

                  http://osf1.gmu.edu/~herwin/mark.htm

                  and this one:
                  http://osf1.gmu.edu/~herwin/mark.html

                  http://www.historian.net/secmark.htm

                  Sorry bout dat

                  Jack

                  Jack Kilmon
                  jkilmon@...

                  http://www.historian.net

                • Andrew Payne
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 6, 1999
                    YOu mentioned two of Bart Ehrman's essays, have your read his An Orthodox
                    Corruption of Scripture?