tc-list Scribal tendencies - Christian Ethics?

  • TOMMY MARKANZIA REKLAM HB
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 1999
      Dear subscriber!

      I - a Swedish student of theology - is presently working on an essay in
      ethics. Since I am very interested in the area of textual criticism I am
      trying to connect the areas of scribal tendencies in the textual
      transmission of NT, and the development or elaboration of christian
      (orthodox) ethics in the early church.

      I have read two of Bart D. Ehrman�s essay�s concerning text and
      tradition in the early church, which show that various concerns in the
      church (sociological, doctrinal etc) are mirrored in the way scribes
      transmitted (omitted, amended or changed) the original text. This was
      indeed interesting for me - the idea of using textual criticism with
      another aim than just trying to secure the original text.

      Anyhow, now I am supposed to write an essay in ethics and I would like
      to ask the subscribers of the list for a piece of good advice. Do You
      think it would show fruitful to investigate if some textual variants
      (and if so, where should I look for them in the NT) have bearings on the
      history of ethics in the early church. The oppression of women, or
      antisemitism could indeed belong to the subject, but if we define ethics
      more narrowly to designate moral life of the Christian. Perhaps You have
      some suggestions for my study of literature.

      I hope You understand my query, in spite of my poor knowledge in
      English. I thank You for Your contribution in the research of a subject
      which I take great interest in.

      With regards

      Tommy Wasserman
    • Lamerson, Sam
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 1999
        Another perhaps fruitful approach might be to consider the question of the
        ethics of scribes who were intentionally changing manuscripts which they
        considered to be Scripture. Did the scribes see the ethical problems
        inherent in intentional changes? Or did they see these changes as ethically
        necessary as a result of the problems that the unchanged passage might
        cause?

        Just a thought

        Sam Lamerson
        Knox Theological Seminary
        --------

        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 1999
          Another perhaps fruitful approach might be to consider the question of the
          ethics of scribes who were intentionally changing manuscripts which they
          considered to be Scripture. Did the scribes see the ethical problems
          inherent in intentional changes? Or did they see these changes as ethically
          necessary as a result of the problems that the unchanged passage might
          cause?

          Just a thought

          Sam Lamerson
          Knox Theological Seminary

          Professor Sam Lamerson
          Knox Theological Seminary
          "Where Ministry Comes First!"
          1 800 344-KNOX (5669)
          --------
[...]

        • Professor L.W. Hurtado
          Message 4 of 9 , May 6, 1999
            In addition to the variants you alluded to (1 Cor 14:34-35 on
            women; anti-Jewish variants in Codex D) which reflect "ethical"
            issues, you might also consider the variation in the "apostolic
            decree" in ACts 15:29. The absence (omission?) of "things
            strangled" may indicate a list of "moral/ethical" commands
            (idolatry, murder, fornication), whereas the presence of "things
            strangled" appears to make the list one of "clean/unclean"
            concerns.

            L. W. Hurtado
            University of Edinburgh,
            New College
            Mound Place
            Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
            Phone: 0131-650-8920
            Fax: 0131-650-6579
            E-mail: L.Hurtado@...
          • TonyProst@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 6, 1999
              On this issue, you might check the Secret Mark websites, which I am certain
              someone on this list can refer you to!

              Regards,
              Tony Prost
              All NOnnos All Day
              http://members.aol.com/tonyprost/index.html
            • Dr. Ulrich Schmid
              Message 6 of 9 , May 6, 1999
                To my mind, one of the most complex textual problems involving ethics are the
                synoptic sayings on marriage and divorce (Mk 10.2-12; Mt 5.27-32; Mt 19.3-9; Lk
                16.18). Here you can study the quest for ethical implications of (competing)
                readings along with the vexing problem of harmonization.
                In addition, there are very good expositions of the problem extant.
                I may recommend
                M.W. Holmes, "The Text of the Matthean Divorce Passages: A Comment on the Appeal
                to Harmonization in Textual Decisions", in: JBL 109 (1990) 651-64; and
                D. Parker, The Living Text of the Gospels, Cambridge 1997, pp.57-94.

                Dr. Ulrich Schmid
                U.B.Schmid@...
              • Jack Kilmon
                Message 7 of 9 , May 6, 1999
                • Jack Kilmon
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 6, 1999

                    Jack Kilmon wrote:

                    TonyProst@... wrote:

                    > On this issue, you might check the Secret Mark websites, which I am certain
                    > someone on this list can refer you to!

                    http://www.globaltown.com/shawn/secmark.html

                    http://www1.bremen.de/~wie/Secret/secmark_home.html

                    Messed this one up. Should be
                    http://www1.uni-bremen.de/~wie/Secret/secmark.home.html

                    http://home.sol.no/~noetic/secm.htm

                    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Trowbridge/secmark.htm

                    http://www.trends.net/~yuku/bbl/8secmk.htm

                    http://members.xoom.com/jesusquest/

                    http://osf1.gmu.edu/~herwin/mark.htm

                    and this one:
                    http://osf1.gmu.edu/~herwin/mark.html

                    http://www.historian.net/secmark.htm

                    Sorry bout dat

                    Jack

                    Jack Kilmon
                    jkilmon@...

                    http://www.historian.net

                  • Andrew Payne
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 6, 1999
                      YOu mentioned two of Bart Ehrman's essays, have your read his An Orthodox
                      Corruption of Scripture?