Re: tc-list Darlow and Moule

  • Maurice A. O'Sullivan
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4 11:28 AM
      At 07:02 04/05/99 -0400, you wrote:
      >Mike Bossingham asked:
      >>
      >> On Saturday I visited a 2nd hand bookshop and
      >> saw a full set of Darlow and Moule for sale. It was
      >> the Kraus reprint and it was priced at 450 pounds
      >> sterling!! It was in mint condition.
      >>
      >> Is that a reasonable price?
      >
      >450 Pounds sounds rather high to me, but it is scarce, even in the Kraus
      >reprint. You may be able to get a better price (I think it was in the
      >neighborhood of US $300) on another, more recent, reprint from:
      >
      >Stroud Theological Booksellers
      >Star Rt., Box 94
      >Williamsburg, WV 24991
      >
      >304-645-7169
      >304-645-4620 fax
      >
      >I think he also is listed with one of the used book dealer Internet sites,
      >but I do not know the URL.

      The URL you will find useful is that of the MX Bookfinder site,
      at:http://www.mxbf.com/

      where the volume in question is listed under:
      Advanced Book Exchange

      Once at USD 250
      Twice 225
      Once 200

      Under Bibliofind,
      1 225
      1 300

      Under Bibliocity

      Plenty of choice, there.
      I can see from the listings why the price is so high;
      only 250 copies of one edition

      BTW, at today's exchange rate, the bookseller Mike visited is asking for
      USD 720 -- which, as the old song title has it, is nice work if you can
      get it <G>

      Regards,
      Maurice
      Maurice A. O'Sullivan
      [Bray, Ireland ]

      "Be certain your feet are planted in the
      right place before you decide to stand firm!"
    • Dexter Garnier
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4 1:08 PM
        M. Bossingham wrote:

        > On Saturday I visited a 2nd hand bookshop and
        > saw a full set of Darlow and Moule for sale. It was
        > the Kraus reprint and it was priced at 450 pounds
        > sterling!! It was in mint condition.
        >
        > Is that a reasonable price?
        >
        > Every Blessing
        >
        > Mike Bossingham.
        > Maidenhead, UK.

        Rulon-Miller seems to have a later edition set at $200.00:

        DARLOW, T.H., and H.F. Moule, editors. Historical catalogue of the printed
        editions of Holy Scripture in the library of the British Foreign Bible
        Society. In two volumes. Cambridge: M. Martino, [1993]. Re-print edition in
        4 volumes of the original edition of London, 1903-11, new in red cloth,
        gilt. Volume I: English; volumes II, III and IV Polyglots and languages
        other than English. Limited to 350 sets. The standard reference on editions
        of the Bible printed in all languages. Book# 12061 US$ 200.00 > Hi,

        Rulon-Miller Books (ABAA / ILAB) , 400 Summit Avenue , Saint Paul , MN ,
        U.S.A. , 55102
        Phone 800-441-0076 / Fax 651-290-0646 , Email rulon@...

        Dexter Garnier
        San Francisco, CA 94114