tc-list Darlow and Moule

  • Harold P. Scanlin
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 1999
      Mike Bossingham asked:

      > On Saturday I visited a 2nd hand bookshop and
      > saw a full set of Darlow and Moule for sale. It was
      > the Kraus reprint and it was priced at 450 pounds
      > sterling!! It was in mint condition.
      >
      > Is that a reasonable price?

      450 Pounds sounds rather high to me, but it is scarce, even in the Kraus
      reprint. You may be able to get a better price (I think it was in the
      neighborhood of US $300) on another, more recent, reprint from:

      Stroud Theological Booksellers
      Star Rt., Box 94
      Williamsburg, WV 24991

      304-645-7169
      304-645-4620 fax

      I think he also is listed with one of the used book dealer Internet sites,
      but I do not know the URL.

      Harold P. Scanlin
      United Bible Societies
      1865 Broadway
      New York, NY 10023
      scanlin@...
    • Maurice A. O'Sullivan
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 1999
        At 07:02 04/05/99 -0400, you wrote:
        >Mike Bossingham asked:
        >>
        >> On Saturday I visited a 2nd hand bookshop and
        >> saw a full set of Darlow and Moule for sale. It was
        >> the Kraus reprint and it was priced at 450 pounds
        >> sterling!! It was in mint condition.
        >>
        >> Is that a reasonable price?
        >
        >450 Pounds sounds rather high to me, but it is scarce, even in the Kraus
        >reprint. You may be able to get a better price (I think it was in the
        >neighborhood of US $300) on another, more recent, reprint from:
        >
        >Stroud Theological Booksellers
        >Star Rt., Box 94
        >Williamsburg, WV 24991
        >
        >304-645-7169
        >304-645-4620 fax
        >
        >I think he also is listed with one of the used book dealer Internet sites,
        >but I do not know the URL.

        The URL you will find useful is that of the MX Bookfinder site,
        at:http://www.mxbf.com/

        where the volume in question is listed under:
        Advanced Book Exchange

        Once at USD 250
        Twice 225
        Once 200

        Under Bibliofind,
        1 225
        1 300

        Under Bibliocity

        Plenty of choice, there.
        I can see from the listings why the price is so high;
        only 250 copies of one edition

        BTW, at today's exchange rate, the bookseller Mike visited is asking for
        USD 720 -- which, as the old song title has it, is nice work if you can
        get it <G>

        Regards,
        Maurice
        Maurice A. O'Sullivan
        [Bray, Ireland ]

        "Be certain your feet are planted in the
        right place before you decide to stand firm!"
      • Dexter Garnier
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 1999
          M. Bossingham wrote:

          > On Saturday I visited a 2nd hand bookshop and
          > saw a full set of Darlow and Moule for sale. It was
          > the Kraus reprint and it was priced at 450 pounds
          > sterling!! It was in mint condition.
          >
          > Is that a reasonable price?
          >
          > Every Blessing
          >
          > Mike Bossingham.
          > Maidenhead, UK.

          Rulon-Miller seems to have a later edition set at $200.00:

          DARLOW, T.H., and H.F. Moule, editors. Historical catalogue of the printed
          editions of Holy Scripture in the library of the British Foreign Bible
          Society. In two volumes. Cambridge: M. Martino, [1993]. Re-print edition in
          4 volumes of the original edition of London, 1903-11, new in red cloth,
          gilt. Volume I: English; volumes II, III and IV Polyglots and languages
          other than English. Limited to 350 sets. The standard reference on editions
          of the Bible printed in all languages. Book# 12061 US$ 200.00 > Hi,

          Rulon-Miller Books (ABAA / ILAB) , 400 Summit Avenue , Saint Paul , MN ,
          U.S.A. , 55102
          Phone 800-441-0076 / Fax 651-290-0646 , Email rulon@...

          Dexter Garnier
          San Francisco, CA 94114