tc-list Darlow and Moule

  • Mike Bossingham
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4 3:19 AM
      Hi,

      On Saturday I visited a 2nd hand bookshop and
      saw a full set of Darlow and Moule for sale. It was
      the Kraus reprint and it was priced at 450 pounds
      sterling!! It was in mint condition.

      Is that a reasonable price?

      Every Blessing

      Mike Bossingham.
      Maidenhead, UK.
    • Harold P. Scanlin
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4 4:02 AM
        Mike Bossingham asked:

        > On Saturday I visited a 2nd hand bookshop and
        > saw a full set of Darlow and Moule for sale. It was
        > the Kraus reprint and it was priced at 450 pounds
        > sterling!! It was in mint condition.
        >
        > Is that a reasonable price?

        450 Pounds sounds rather high to me, but it is scarce, even in the Kraus
        reprint. You may be able to get a better price (I think it was in the
        neighborhood of US $300) on another, more recent, reprint from:

        Stroud Theological Booksellers
        Star Rt., Box 94
        Williamsburg, WV 24991

        304-645-7169
        304-645-4620 fax

        I think he also is listed with one of the used book dealer Internet sites,
        but I do not know the URL.

        Harold P. Scanlin
        United Bible Societies
        1865 Broadway
        New York, NY 10023
        scanlin@...
      • Maurice A. O'Sullivan
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4 11:28 AM
          At 07:02 04/05/99 -0400, you wrote:
          >Mike Bossingham asked:
          >>
          >> On Saturday I visited a 2nd hand bookshop and
          >> saw a full set of Darlow and Moule for sale. It was
          >> the Kraus reprint and it was priced at 450 pounds
          >> sterling!! It was in mint condition.
          >>
          >> Is that a reasonable price?
          >
          >450 Pounds sounds rather high to me, but it is scarce, even in the Kraus
          >reprint. You may be able to get a better price (I think it was in the
          >neighborhood of US $300) on another, more recent, reprint from:
          >
          >Stroud Theological Booksellers
          >Star Rt., Box 94
          >Williamsburg, WV 24991
          >
          >304-645-7169
          >304-645-4620 fax
          >
          >I think he also is listed with one of the used book dealer Internet sites,
          >but I do not know the URL.

          The URL you will find useful is that of the MX Bookfinder site,
          at:http://www.mxbf.com/

          where the volume in question is listed under:
          Advanced Book Exchange

          Once at USD 250
          Twice 225
          Once 200

          Under Bibliofind,
          1 225
          1 300

          Under Bibliocity

          Plenty of choice, there.
          I can see from the listings why the price is so high;
          only 250 copies of one edition

          BTW, at today's exchange rate, the bookseller Mike visited is asking for
          USD 720 -- which, as the old song title has it, is nice work if you can
          get it <G>

          Regards,
          Maurice
          Maurice A. O'Sullivan
          [Bray, Ireland ]

          "Be certain your feet are planted in the
          right place before you decide to stand firm!"
        • Dexter Garnier
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4 1:08 PM
            M. Bossingham wrote:

            > On Saturday I visited a 2nd hand bookshop and
            > saw a full set of Darlow and Moule for sale. It was
            > the Kraus reprint and it was priced at 450 pounds
            > sterling!! It was in mint condition.
            >
            > Is that a reasonable price?
            >
            > Every Blessing
            >
            > Mike Bossingham.
            > Maidenhead, UK.

            Rulon-Miller seems to have a later edition set at $200.00:

            DARLOW, T.H., and H.F. Moule, editors. Historical catalogue of the printed
            editions of Holy Scripture in the library of the British Foreign Bible
            Society. In two volumes. Cambridge: M. Martino, [1993]. Re-print edition in
            4 volumes of the original edition of London, 1903-11, new in red cloth,
            gilt. Volume I: English; volumes II, III and IV Polyglots and languages
            other than English. Limited to 350 sets. The standard reference on editions
            of the Bible printed in all languages. Book# 12061 US$ 200.00 > Hi,

            Rulon-Miller Books (ABAA / ILAB) , 400 Summit Avenue , Saint Paul , MN ,
            U.S.A. , 55102
            Phone 800-441-0076 / Fax 651-290-0646 , Email rulon@...

            Dexter Garnier
            San Francisco, CA 94114