tc-list help on an article by E.J. Epp

  • Thomas J. Kraus
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21, 1999
      Dear TC-ers,

      fortunately I made an excerpt of an article by E.J. Epp with the titel
      *Toward the Clarification of the Term "Textual Variant" (published in:
      E.J. Epp and G.D. Fee, Studies in the Theory and Method of New Testament
      Textual Criticism (Studies and Documents 45; Grand Rapids 1993)), but
      unfortunately, I did not copy of how many pages this study is made up. I
      know that it was published in J. K. Elliott, ed., Studies in the New
      Testament Language and Text. Essays in Honor of G.D. Kilpatrick (NT.S 44;
      Leiden 1976) pp. 153-173, but for a citation I need its correct place in
      Epp's and Fee's *Studies*.
      Please, can anybody help me on this?
      By the way: what sounds very plausible and absolutely necessary in theory
      might cause problems in practice. Can we be certain to distinguish between
      nonsense readings, singular readings, and the like on the one hand and
      textual variants worth being discussed on a broader scale on the other?
      Principally, I think E.C. Colwell (Scribal Habits, in: NTTS 9, 106-124)
      and Epp are right. But nevertheless, practice brought me in a kind of
      hustle: when are readings singular ones (even a variant witnessed by only
      one manuscript can be correct according to Kilpatrick/Elliott)? When do we
      have an intentional and an unintentional error, when only the language
      used in dialects (itacisms)? Any notions out there on the whole of that?
      Best wishes,
      Thomas J. Kraus
      Universitaet Regensburg
      Kath.-theol. Fakultaet
      Universitaetsstr. 31
      D-93053 Regensburg
      Federal Republic of Germany

      Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
      Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86
      thomas-juergen.kraus@...-regensburg.de
    • Professor L.W. Hurtado
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21, 1999
        The Epp article =
        E.J.Epp, "Toward the Clarification of the Term 'Textual Variant'," in
        Epp & G. D. Fee, _Studies in the Theory & Method of NT Textual
        Criticism_ (SD 45; Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1993), 47-61.
        "Nonesense readings" and "singular readings" and "non-significant"
        readings all require judgement of specific cases. "Nonesense"
        must be not simply awkward but so obviously impossible as real
        Greek as to be obvious to other readers as well that it is a scribal
        error.
        "Singular" in pratice means a reading/variant that you can't find in
        any other ms using the tools available (e.g., Tischendorf, other
        apparati, published/collate mss,etc.). I.e., "singular" to be the best
        of your knowledge. To judge something as "singular" does not
        automatically mean it cannot be original. But collections of
        singular readings of individual mss *collectively* form a data set
        from which to make inferences about the scribal *tendencies* and
        preferences of the ms.

        L. W. Hurtado
        University of Edinburgh,
        New College
        Mound Place
        Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
        Phone: 0131-650-8920
        Fax: 0131-650-6579
        E-mail: L.Hurtado@...
      • Thomas J. Kraus
        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 1999
          Jim West mentioned Comfort´s and Barrett´s Book ("Complete Text of the
          Earliest New Testament Manuscripts"). Amazon.com showed up with a "not yet
          published" note. Any information how/where to get it?
          Does it make any reference to the papyrus fragment from Qumran (7Q5) as a
          witness for Mark´s Gospel (???)? Does it include the recent Oxyrhynchos
          papyri providing some fifth to seventh copies of Matthew? How is the
          script given (new font with critical notes; abbreviations, nomina sacra,
          comments)?
          Any help?
          Best wishes,

          Thomas J. Kraus

          Universitaet Regensburg
          Kath.-theol. Fakultaet
          Universitaetsstr. 31
          D-93053 Regensburg
          Federal Republic of Germany

          Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
          Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86
          thomas-juergen.kraus@...-regensburg.de
        • Jim West
          Message 4 of 7 , May 7, 1999
            At 03:40 PM 5/7/99 +0200, you wrote:
            >Jim West mentioned Comfort´s and Barrett´s Book ("Complete Text of the
            >Earliest New Testament Manuscripts"). Amazon.com showed up with a "not yet
            >published" note. Any information how/where to get it?

            I got mine directly from Baker.
            They have a web site- www.bakerbooks.com

            >Does it make any reference to the papyrus fragment from Qumran (7Q5) as a
            >witness for Mark´s Gospel (???)?

            No- because it isnt.

            > Does it include the recent Oxyrhynchos
            >papyri providing some fifth to seventh copies of Matthew? How is the
            >script given (new font with critical notes; abbreviations, nomina sacra,
            >comments)?

            Yes, abbreviations, etc. Its a transcription, though in miniscule font as
            you will find in your GNT rather than uncial script.

            >Any help?
            >Best wishes,

            I dunno. I hope so.

            Best,

            Jim

            +++++++++++++++++++++++++

            Jim West, ThD
            Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
            Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

            fax- 978-231-5986
            email- jwest@...
            web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
          • Nichael Lynn Cramer
            Message 5 of 7 , May 7, 1999
              Thomas J. Kraus wrote:
              >Jim West mentioned Comfort´s and Barrett´s Book ("Complete Text of the
              >Earliest New Testament Manuscripts"). Amazon.com showed up with a "not yet
              >published" note. Any information how/where to get it?

              Note: Although they also list it as "not yet available" CBD offers the book
              at $24.95 (i.e. less than 50% of the list price of $49.99).

              >Does it make any reference to the papyrus fragment from Qumran (7Q5) as a
              >witness for Mark´s Gospel (???)? Does it include the recent Oxyrhynchos
              >papyri providing some fifth to seventh copies of Matthew? How is the
              >script given (new font with critical notes; abbreviations, nomina sacra,
              >comments)?

              A couple of other question:

              How are uncertain readings, conjectural readings, scribal corrections, etc,
              indicated?

              Whose "transcriptions" are used in the books (Comfort's or those of someone
              else)?

              Are varying transcription/readings by other editors included?

              Thanks
              Nichael
              ---
              Nichael Cramer
              nichael@... nulla dies sine linea
              http://www.sover.net/~nichael/
            • Maurice A. O'Sullivan
              Message 6 of 7 , May 7, 1999
                At 15:40 07/05/99 +0200, you wrote:
                >Jim West mentioned Comfort´s and Barrett´s Book ("Complete Text of the
                >Earliest New Testament Manuscripts"). Amazon.com showed up with a "not yet
                >published" note. Any information how/where to get it?

                Go to:
                http://www.bakersdzn.com/index.shtml

                Enter the title in the search box, and search.
                Tick the "Book Watch" box to the left of the title.
                Click on "Save Orders"
                You will be asked to enter your e-mail address, do so, and they promise to
                send you news.

                Regards,
                Maurice

                Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]