Re: tc-list Re: Fragments of Matthew located at Magdelan College, Oxford

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 1999
      Thiede is all alone in his dating of the Magdalen Papyri.
      A third century date is more likely. His claim on palaeographic
      grounds is much too narrow beyond the historical problems of
      dating a Gospel written by a Greek-speaking Syrian diaspora
      scribe to the 1st half of the 1st century.

      Jack

      "Nelson D. Roth" wrote:

      > I would appreciate any comments concerning fragments of the Gospel of Matthew
      > studied by Dr. Carsten Peter Thiede, of Magdalen College, Oxford. Dr. Thiede has
      > dated them to approximately between 40 and 70 A.D.
      >
      > Nelson D. Roth
      > nroth@...

      Jack Kilmon
      jkilmon@...