Re: tc-list Re: Fragments of Matthew located at Magdelan College, Oxford

  • James R. Adair
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20 7:32 AM
      Nelson,

      You might want to search the tc-list archives, since we've had several
      discussions on this topic over the past few years. Go to
      http://www.egroups.com/group/tc-list and do a search for Magdalen (also
      spelled Magdelan in some messages), Theide, P64, etc. If you're a real
      glutton for punishment, you can download the entire tc-list archive
      from ftp://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu/pub/openhouse/tc-list and do
      your own local searches (e.g., grep).

      Jimmy

      James R. Adair, Jr.
      Director, ATLA Center for Electronic Texts in Religion

      Listowner, tc-list
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20 8:22 AM
        Thiede is all alone in his dating of the Magdalen Papyri.
        A third century date is more likely. His claim on palaeographic
        grounds is much too narrow beyond the historical problems of
        dating a Gospel written by a Greek-speaking Syrian diaspora
        scribe to the 1st half of the 1st century.

        Jack

        "Nelson D. Roth" wrote:

        > I would appreciate any comments concerning fragments of the Gospel of Matthew
        > studied by Dr. Carsten Peter Thiede, of Magdalen College, Oxford. Dr. Thiede has
        > dated them to approximately between 40 and 70 A.D.
        >
        > Nelson D. Roth
        > nroth@...

        Jack Kilmon
        jkilmon@...