Re: tc-list Re: Fragments of Matthew located at Magdelan College, Oxford

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 1999
      At 09:56 AM 4/20/99 -0400, you wrote:
      >I would appreciate any comments concerning fragments of the Gospel of Matthew
      >studied by Dr. Carsten Peter Thiede, of Magdalen College, Oxford. Dr.
      Thiede has
      >dated them to approximately between 40 and 70 A.D.
      >
      >Nelson D. Roth
      >nroth@...

      See the excellent book by Graham Stanton- Gospel Truth. He shows quite
      clearly that Thiede's dating is quite impossible.

      Best,

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++

      Jim West, ThD
      Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
      Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

      fax- 978-231-5986
      email- jwest@...
      web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
    • James R. Adair
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20, 1999
        Nelson,

        You might want to search the tc-list archives, since we've had several
        discussions on this topic over the past few years. Go to
        http://www.egroups.com/group/tc-list and do a search for Magdalen (also
        spelled Magdelan in some messages), Theide, P64, etc. If you're a real
        glutton for punishment, you can download the entire tc-list archive
        from ftp://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu/pub/openhouse/tc-list and do
        your own local searches (e.g., grep).

        Jimmy

        James R. Adair, Jr.
        Director, ATLA Center for Electronic Texts in Religion

        Listowner, tc-list
      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 20, 1999
          Thiede is all alone in his dating of the Magdalen Papyri.
          A third century date is more likely. His claim on palaeographic
          grounds is much too narrow beyond the historical problems of
          dating a Gospel written by a Greek-speaking Syrian diaspora
          scribe to the 1st half of the 1st century.

          Jack

          "Nelson D. Roth" wrote:

          > I would appreciate any comments concerning fragments of the Gospel of Matthew
          > studied by Dr. Carsten Peter Thiede, of Magdalen College, Oxford. Dr. Thiede has
          > dated them to approximately between 40 and 70 A.D.
          >
          > Nelson D. Roth
          > nroth@...

          Jack Kilmon
          jkilmon@...