tc-list Re: Fragments of Matthew located at Magdelan College, Oxford

  • Nelson D. Roth
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 1999
      I would appreciate any comments concerning fragments of the Gospel of Matthew
      studied by Dr. Carsten Peter Thiede, of Magdalen College, Oxford. Dr. Thiede has
      dated them to approximately between 40 and 70 A.D.

      Nelson D. Roth
      nroth@...
    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20, 1999
        At 09:56 AM 4/20/99 -0400, you wrote:
        >I would appreciate any comments concerning fragments of the Gospel of Matthew
        >studied by Dr. Carsten Peter Thiede, of Magdalen College, Oxford. Dr.
        Thiede has
        >dated them to approximately between 40 and 70 A.D.
        >
        >Nelson D. Roth
        >nroth@...

        See the excellent book by Graham Stanton- Gospel Truth. He shows quite
        clearly that Thiede's dating is quite impossible.

        Best,

        Jim

        +++++++++++++++++++++++++

        Jim West, ThD
        Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
        Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

        fax- 978-231-5986
        email- jwest@...
        web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
      • James R. Adair
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 20, 1999
          Nelson,

          You might want to search the tc-list archives, since we've had several
          discussions on this topic over the past few years. Go to
          http://www.egroups.com/group/tc-list and do a search for Magdalen (also
          spelled Magdelan in some messages), Theide, P64, etc. If you're a real
          glutton for punishment, you can download the entire tc-list archive
          from ftp://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu/pub/openhouse/tc-list and do
          your own local searches (e.g., grep).

          Jimmy

          James R. Adair, Jr.
          Director, ATLA Center for Electronic Texts in Religion

          Listowner, tc-list
        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 20, 1999
            Thiede is all alone in his dating of the Magdalen Papyri.
            A third century date is more likely. His claim on palaeographic
            grounds is much too narrow beyond the historical problems of
            dating a Gospel written by a Greek-speaking Syrian diaspora
            scribe to the 1st half of the 1st century.

            Jack

            "Nelson D. Roth" wrote:

            > I would appreciate any comments concerning fragments of the Gospel of Matthew
            > studied by Dr. Carsten Peter Thiede, of Magdalen College, Oxford. Dr. Thiede has
            > dated them to approximately between 40 and 70 A.D.
            >
            > Nelson D. Roth
            > nroth@...

            Jack Kilmon
            jkilmon@...