Re: tc-list Zacharias

  • Dr. Ulrich Schmid
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 1999
      J.R. Harris has his merits, but the article mentioned is confusing and
      misleading. The best study today is still:

      O. Schmid, "Zacharias Chrysopolitanus und sein Kommentar zur
      Evangelienharmonie," Theologische Quartalschrift 68 (1886) 531-47 + ibid. 69
      (1887) 231-275.

      Zacharias wasn't a bischop. In all likelyhood, he was head of the cleric (dome)
      school in Besancon, before he joined the monasic life.

      I'm not so sure, whether Zacharias really attributed the harmony to Ammonius.
      Robert, could you please give the referrence supporting this statement.

      Anyhow, had Zacharias really attributed the harmony to Ammonius, the chances
      that he was right are (next to) zero.

      We know that Zacharias used a copy of the famous Codex Fuldensis-Harmony. We
      even know to which part of the (later) recensensions his copy must have belonged
      to.

      Peter Head wrote:
      > Try:
      > J.R. Harris, "Some Notes on the Gospel-Harmony of Zacharias
      > Chrysopolitanus" JBL 43(1924)32-45.

      > Peter M. Head
      > Oak Hill College
      > LONDON N14 4PS