Re: tc-list CPART GNT text Project

  • Fivefree@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 1999
      In a message dated 3/3/99 2:51:13 PM Mountain Standard Time,
      broman@... writes:

      > I wish I did, it sounds interesting.
      > As far as I can gather, CPART was/is an interdisciplinary group
      > at BYU and the ABMC that worked on radioisotope dating of DSS MSS
      > and on a searchable CD edition of the DSS texts and fragments.
      > Someone there was working on multispectral imaging of carbonized MSS
      > from Petra to recover otherwise invisible text. I imagine
      > that they are trying to expand and branch out with a new Greek project.

      Speaking of this, I was in Salt Lake City several weeks ago on business and
      heard a presentation on BYU public radio about this project. What little I
      heard had to do with DNA testing of the different animal skins which were (if
      memory serves me correctly) were primarily bovine. They were examined to see
      if the different skins were of the same animal or from the same herd (which
      would have a similar DNA sequence as they would be related). At least one hide
      was of an animal similar to the local species of antelope. A rather striking
      find was that the hides were contaminated with human DNA. The testing team
      thought they had contaminated the specimens. This was not the case. What they
      concluded was that the DNA of the author of the scrolls was present on them
      from having such intimate contact with them. I find it incredulous that the
      genetic character of the scribe who wrote this and that scroll is available to
      us in great detail.

      Regards,

      Jack Jackson