Re: tc-list urgent: help (swanson)

  • Thomas J. Kraus
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
      > Thomas,
      > I see no nomina sacra in Swanson. Certainly not in Matt 26:1,2.
      > George Howard
      > UGA

      Dear George,
      thanks very much for your help.

      Thomas
      Universitaet Regensburg
      Kath.-theol. Fakultaet
      Universitaetsstr. 31
      D-93053 Regensburg

      Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
      Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86
      thomas-juergen.kraus@...-regensburg.de
    • Dr. Ulrich Schmid
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
        George,

        you better checked the B-apparatus in Swanson!

        Thomas,

        of course Swanson gives nomina sacra. In Mat 26.1 Swanson gives IS (usual) and
        IHS (D = 05) and in 26.2 STRWQHNAI (family 13 inter alia).

        George Howard wrote:
        > Thomas,
        > I see no nomina sacra in Swanson. Certainly not in Matt 26:1,2.
        > George Howard
        > UGA
        >
        > Thomas J. Kraus wrote:
        >
        > > urgent!
        > >
        > > dear tc-ers,
        > > I knew that this would happen one day, but my booksellers have troubles
        > > with ordering books, as it seems. does anybody have his/her edition of
        > > R.J. Swanson, New Testament Greek Manuscripts: Arranged in Horizontal
        > > Lines against Codex Vaticanus, 1995?
        > > In particular, I am needing of a minor piece of information: does Swanson
        > > print nomina sacra in his editions? I am especially interested in Matthew
        > > 26:2 (SRNAI with a stroke above the letters for STAURWQHNAI) and 26:1 (IH
        > > with a stroke for IHSOUS).
        > > Please, help me as fast as possible!!!
        > > Thanks in advance,

        Dr. Ulrich Schmid
        U.B.Schmid@...
      • rlmullen@netpath.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
          Checked my copy of Swanson. Sorry, he doesn't print nomina sacra in that
          volume. --ROd Mullen

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
            My copy of Swanson was printed in 1995 (Sheffield Academic Press, William Carey
            Inernational University Press). It includes several apparatus, counted from A to
            D plus a lacunae-apparatus. Apparatus B gives the nomina sacra.
            Are there different copies of Swanson's New Testament Greek Manuscripts. Variant
            Readings arranged in horizontal lines against Codex Vaticanus around?

            rlmullen@... wrote:
            > Checked my copy of Swanson. Sorry, he doesn't print nomina sacra in that
            > volume. --ROd Mullen
            >
            > At 12:22 PM 3/4/99 +0200, you wrote:
            > >urgent!
            > >
            > >dear tc-ers,
            > >I knew that this would happen one day, but my booksellers have troubles
            > >with ordering books, as it seems. does anybody have his/her edition of
            > >R.J. Swanson, New Testament Greek Manuscripts: Arranged in Horizontal
            > >Lines against Codex Vaticanus, 1995?
            > >In particular, I am needing of a minor piece of information: does Swanson
            > >print nomina sacra in his editions? I am especially interested in Matthew
            > >26:2 (SRNAI with a stroke above the letters for STAURWQHNAI) and 26:1 (IH
            > >with a stroke for IHSOUS).
            > >Please, help me as fast as possible!!!
            > >Thanks in advance,
            > >
            > >Thomas J. Kraus
            > >Universitaet Regensburg
            > >Kath.-theol. Fakultaet
            > >Universitaetsstr. 31
            > >D-93053 Regensburg
            > >
            > >Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
            > >Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86
            > >thomas-juergen.kraus@...-regensburg.de

            Dr. Ulrich Schmid
            U.B.Schmid@...
          • Bruce Prior
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
              Thomas and George --
              Actually, NOMINA SACRA are in all of Swanson's volumes currently in
              print. In the Gospels volumes they are found in the notes section B on
              each page. In the Acts volume they are integrated with the main text.
              Specifically, Thomas, besides IS with a stroke for IHSOUS, which is very
              common among manuscripts in Matt 26:1, D and 2 have IHS with stroke
              above, according to Swanson. IH with a stroke is not found in Swanson's
              collection of manuscripts at Matt 26:1. In Matt 26:2, the only
              indicated NOMEN SACRUM for STAURWQHNAI is found in S and 118, where it
              is written STRWQHNAI with a stroke above the rho and omega, according to
              Swanson. I hope this is helpful.
              Bruce Prior Blaine, Washington n7rr@...>

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
                Sorry, I misstated the reference. IHS is only in D. STRWQHNAI is in S
                118 f13 69 124 157 579 788 1071 1346
                Bruce Prior