Re: tc-list urgent: help (swanson)

  • George Howard
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 1999
      Thomas,
      I see no nomina sacra in Swanson. Certainly not in Matt 26:1,2.
      George Howard
      UGA

      Thomas J. Kraus wrote:

      > urgent!
      >
      > dear tc-ers,
      > I knew that this would happen one day, but my booksellers have troubles
      > with ordering books, as it seems. does anybody have his/her edition of
      > R.J. Swanson, New Testament Greek Manuscripts: Arranged in Horizontal
      > Lines against Codex Vaticanus, 1995?
      > In particular, I am needing of a minor piece of information: does Swanson
      > print nomina sacra in his editions? I am especially interested in Matthew
      > 26:2 (SRNAI with a stroke above the letters for STAURWQHNAI) and 26:1 (IH
      > with a stroke for IHSOUS).
      > Please, help me as fast as possible!!!
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Thomas J. Kraus
      > Universitaet Regensburg
      > Kath.-theol. Fakultaet
      > Universitaetsstr. 31
      > D-93053 Regensburg
      >
      > Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
      > Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86
      > thomas-juergen.kraus@...-regensburg.de
    • Thomas J. Kraus
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
        > Thomas,
        > I see no nomina sacra in Swanson. Certainly not in Matt 26:1,2.
        > George Howard
        > UGA

        Dear George,
        thanks very much for your help.

        Thomas
        Universitaet Regensburg
        Kath.-theol. Fakultaet
        Universitaetsstr. 31
        D-93053 Regensburg

        Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
        Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86
        thomas-juergen.kraus@...-regensburg.de
      • Nichael Cramer
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
          Jonathan Ryder wrote:

          > Nichael Cramer wrote:
          >

          > > Their URL is:
          > >
          > > http://www.dfscott.com/bibal%20books/Greek%20Manuscripts.html
          > >
          > > (If you have trouble with the weird characters, just start at:
          > >
          > > http://www.dfscott.com/bibal/ )
          > >

          > Can't get to either of these?
          >
          > Jonathan Ryder

          Sorry,

          I managed to mistype both of these:

          The corrected versions:

          http://www.dfscott.com/bibal%20books/Greek%20Manuscripts.htm

          and

          http://www.dfscott.com/bibal.htm

          (Note the final file-extensions)

          Nichael

          --
          Nichael Cramer
          work: ncramer@...

          (This'll teach me to type before I've had my Dr Pepper in the morning...)
        • Jonathan Ryder
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
            Nichael Cramer wrote:

            > Their URL is:
            >
            > http://www.dfscott.com/bibal%20books/Greek%20Manuscripts.html
            >
            > (If you have trouble with the weird characters, just start at:
            >
            > http://www.dfscott.com/bibal/ )

            Can't get to either of these?

            Jonathan Ryder
          • Dr. Ulrich Schmid
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
              George,

              you better checked the B-apparatus in Swanson!

              Thomas,

              of course Swanson gives nomina sacra. In Mat 26.1 Swanson gives IS (usual) and
              IHS (D = 05) and in 26.2 STRWQHNAI (family 13 inter alia).

              George Howard wrote:
              > Thomas,
              > I see no nomina sacra in Swanson. Certainly not in Matt 26:1,2.
              > George Howard
              > UGA
              >
              > Thomas J. Kraus wrote:
              >
              > > urgent!
              > >
              > > dear tc-ers,
              > > I knew that this would happen one day, but my booksellers have troubles
              > > with ordering books, as it seems. does anybody have his/her edition of
              > > R.J. Swanson, New Testament Greek Manuscripts: Arranged in Horizontal
              > > Lines against Codex Vaticanus, 1995?
              > > In particular, I am needing of a minor piece of information: does Swanson
              > > print nomina sacra in his editions? I am especially interested in Matthew
              > > 26:2 (SRNAI with a stroke above the letters for STAURWQHNAI) and 26:1 (IH
              > > with a stroke for IHSOUS).
              > > Please, help me as fast as possible!!!
              > > Thanks in advance,

              Dr. Ulrich Schmid
              U.B.Schmid@...
            • rlmullen@netpath.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
                Checked my copy of Swanson. Sorry, he doesn't print nomina sacra in that
                volume. --ROd Mullen

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
                  My copy of Swanson was printed in 1995 (Sheffield Academic Press, William Carey
                  Inernational University Press). It includes several apparatus, counted from A to
                  D plus a lacunae-apparatus. Apparatus B gives the nomina sacra.
                  Are there different copies of Swanson's New Testament Greek Manuscripts. Variant
                  Readings arranged in horizontal lines against Codex Vaticanus around?

                  rlmullen@... wrote:
                  > Checked my copy of Swanson. Sorry, he doesn't print nomina sacra in that
                  > volume. --ROd Mullen
                  >
                  > At 12:22 PM 3/4/99 +0200, you wrote:
                  > >urgent!
                  > >
                  > >dear tc-ers,
                  > >I knew that this would happen one day, but my booksellers have troubles
                  > >with ordering books, as it seems. does anybody have his/her edition of
                  > >R.J. Swanson, New Testament Greek Manuscripts: Arranged in Horizontal
                  > >Lines against Codex Vaticanus, 1995?
                  > >In particular, I am needing of a minor piece of information: does Swanson
                  > >print nomina sacra in his editions? I am especially interested in Matthew
                  > >26:2 (SRNAI with a stroke above the letters for STAURWQHNAI) and 26:1 (IH
                  > >with a stroke for IHSOUS).
                  > >Please, help me as fast as possible!!!
                  > >Thanks in advance,
                  > >
                  > >Thomas J. Kraus
                  > >Universitaet Regensburg
                  > >Kath.-theol. Fakultaet
                  > >Universitaetsstr. 31
                  > >D-93053 Regensburg
                  > >
                  > >Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
                  > >Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86
                  > >thomas-juergen.kraus@...-regensburg.de

                  Dr. Ulrich Schmid
                  U.B.Schmid@...
                • Bruce Prior
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
                    Thomas and George --
                    Actually, NOMINA SACRA are in all of Swanson's volumes currently in
                    print. In the Gospels volumes they are found in the notes section B on
                    each page. In the Acts volume they are integrated with the main text.
                    Specifically, Thomas, besides IS with a stroke for IHSOUS, which is very
                    common among manuscripts in Matt 26:1, D and 2 have IHS with stroke
                    above, according to Swanson. IH with a stroke is not found in Swanson's
                    collection of manuscripts at Matt 26:1. In Matt 26:2, the only
                    indicated NOMEN SACRUM for STAURWQHNAI is found in S and 118, where it
                    is written STRWQHNAI with a stroke above the rho and omega, according to
                    Swanson. I hope this is helpful.
                    Bruce Prior Blaine, Washington n7rr@...>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
                      Sorry, I misstated the reference. IHS is only in D. STRWQHNAI is in S
                      118 f13 69 124 157 579 788 1071 1346
                      Bruce Prior