Re: tc-list urgent: help (swanson)

  • George Howard
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 1999
      Thomas,
      I see no nomina sacra in Swanson. Certainly not in Matt 26:1,2.
      George Howard
      UGA

      Thomas J. Kraus wrote:

      > urgent!
      >
      > dear tc-ers,
      > I knew that this would happen one day, but my booksellers have troubles
      > with ordering books, as it seems. does anybody have his/her edition of
      > R.J. Swanson, New Testament Greek Manuscripts: Arranged in Horizontal
      > Lines against Codex Vaticanus, 1995?
      > In particular, I am needing of a minor piece of information: does Swanson
      > print nomina sacra in his editions? I am especially interested in Matthew
      > 26:2 (SRNAI with a stroke above the letters for STAURWQHNAI) and 26:1 (IH
      > with a stroke for IHSOUS).
      > Please, help me as fast as possible!!!
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Thomas J. Kraus
      > Universitaet Regensburg
      > Kath.-theol. Fakultaet
      > Universitaetsstr. 31
      > D-93053 Regensburg
      >
      > Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
      > Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86
      > thomas-juergen.kraus@...-regensburg.de
    • Thomas J. Kraus
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
        > Thomas,
        > I see no nomina sacra in Swanson. Certainly not in Matt 26:1,2.
        > George Howard
        > UGA

        Dear George,
        thanks very much for your help.

        Thomas
        Universitaet Regensburg
        Kath.-theol. Fakultaet
        Universitaetsstr. 31
        D-93053 Regensburg

        Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
        Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86
        thomas-juergen.kraus@...-regensburg.de
      • Nichael Cramer
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
          Thomas J. Kraus wrote:
          > I knew that this would happen one day, but my booksellers have troubles
          > with ordering books, as it seems. does anybody have his/her edition of
          > R.J. Swanson, New Testament Greek Manuscripts: Arranged in Horizontal
          > Lines against Codex Vaticanus, 1995?

          Thomas,

          I can't help directly with your query (my copies of Swanson are in my
          "other office") but I ordered my copies directly from Bibal Press.

          Moreover, according to their web-site, they are having a sale on all four
          Gospel volumes for $49.95 (note: this compares with an individual list
          price of $119.95!) In addition they are offering the Acts volume at
          $14.95 (as opposed to $39.95).

          Their URL is:

          http://www.dfscott.com/bibal%20books/Greek%20Manuscripts.html

          (If you have trouble with the weird characters, just start at:

          http://www.dfscott.com/bibal/ )

          (ObDisclaimer: I have no interest in interest, financial or otherwise, in
          Bibal, other than as a satisfied customer.)

          Hope this helps.
          Nichael

          --
          Nichael Cramer
          work: ncramer@...
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
            Jonathan Ryder wrote:

            > Nichael Cramer wrote:
            >

            > > Their URL is:
            > >
            > > http://www.dfscott.com/bibal%20books/Greek%20Manuscripts.html
            > >
            > > (If you have trouble with the weird characters, just start at:
            > >
            > > http://www.dfscott.com/bibal/ )
            > >

            > Can't get to either of these?
            >
            > Jonathan Ryder

            Sorry,

            I managed to mistype both of these:

            The corrected versions:

            http://www.dfscott.com/bibal%20books/Greek%20Manuscripts.htm

            and

            http://www.dfscott.com/bibal.htm

            (Note the final file-extensions)

            Nichael

            --
            Nichael Cramer
            work: ncramer@...

            (This'll teach me to type before I've had my Dr Pepper in the morning...)
          • Jonathan Ryder
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
              Nichael Cramer wrote:

              > Their URL is:
              >
              > http://www.dfscott.com/bibal%20books/Greek%20Manuscripts.html
              >
              > (If you have trouble with the weird characters, just start at:
              >
              > http://www.dfscott.com/bibal/ )

              Can't get to either of these?

              Jonathan Ryder
            • Dr. Ulrich Schmid
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
                George,

                you better checked the B-apparatus in Swanson!

                Thomas,

                of course Swanson gives nomina sacra. In Mat 26.1 Swanson gives IS (usual) and
                IHS (D = 05) and in 26.2 STRWQHNAI (family 13 inter alia).

                George Howard wrote:
                > Thomas,
                > I see no nomina sacra in Swanson. Certainly not in Matt 26:1,2.
                > George Howard
                > UGA
                >
                > Thomas J. Kraus wrote:
                >
                > > urgent!
                > >
                > > dear tc-ers,
                > > I knew that this would happen one day, but my booksellers have troubles
                > > with ordering books, as it seems. does anybody have his/her edition of
                > > R.J. Swanson, New Testament Greek Manuscripts: Arranged in Horizontal
                > > Lines against Codex Vaticanus, 1995?
                > > In particular, I am needing of a minor piece of information: does Swanson
                > > print nomina sacra in his editions? I am especially interested in Matthew
                > > 26:2 (SRNAI with a stroke above the letters for STAURWQHNAI) and 26:1 (IH
                > > with a stroke for IHSOUS).
                > > Please, help me as fast as possible!!!
                > > Thanks in advance,

                Dr. Ulrich Schmid
                U.B.Schmid@...
              • rlmullen@netpath.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
                  Checked my copy of Swanson. Sorry, he doesn't print nomina sacra in that
                  volume. --ROd Mullen

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
                    My copy of Swanson was printed in 1995 (Sheffield Academic Press, William Carey
                    Inernational University Press). It includes several apparatus, counted from A to
                    D plus a lacunae-apparatus. Apparatus B gives the nomina sacra.
                    Are there different copies of Swanson's New Testament Greek Manuscripts. Variant
                    Readings arranged in horizontal lines against Codex Vaticanus around?

                    rlmullen@... wrote:
                    > Checked my copy of Swanson. Sorry, he doesn't print nomina sacra in that
                    > volume. --ROd Mullen
                    >
                    > At 12:22 PM 3/4/99 +0200, you wrote:
                    > >urgent!
                    > >
                    > >dear tc-ers,
                    > >I knew that this would happen one day, but my booksellers have troubles
                    > >with ordering books, as it seems. does anybody have his/her edition of
                    > >R.J. Swanson, New Testament Greek Manuscripts: Arranged in Horizontal
                    > >Lines against Codex Vaticanus, 1995?
                    > >In particular, I am needing of a minor piece of information: does Swanson
                    > >print nomina sacra in his editions? I am especially interested in Matthew
                    > >26:2 (SRNAI with a stroke above the letters for STAURWQHNAI) and 26:1 (IH
                    > >with a stroke for IHSOUS).
                    > >Please, help me as fast as possible!!!
                    > >Thanks in advance,
                    > >
                    > >Thomas J. Kraus
                    > >Universitaet Regensburg
                    > >Kath.-theol. Fakultaet
                    > >Universitaetsstr. 31
                    > >D-93053 Regensburg
                    > >
                    > >Tel. + 49 941 943 36 90
                    > >Fax. + 49 941 943 19 86
                    > >thomas-juergen.kraus@...-regensburg.de

                    Dr. Ulrich Schmid
                    U.B.Schmid@...
                  • Bruce Prior
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
                      Thomas and George --
                      Actually, NOMINA SACRA are in all of Swanson's volumes currently in
                      print. In the Gospels volumes they are found in the notes section B on
                      each page. In the Acts volume they are integrated with the main text.
                      Specifically, Thomas, besides IS with a stroke for IHSOUS, which is very
                      common among manuscripts in Matt 26:1, D and 2 have IHS with stroke
                      above, according to Swanson. IH with a stroke is not found in Swanson's
                      collection of manuscripts at Matt 26:1. In Matt 26:2, the only
                      indicated NOMEN SACRUM for STAURWQHNAI is found in S and 118, where it
                      is written STRWQHNAI with a stroke above the rho and omega, according to
                      Swanson. I hope this is helpful.
                      Bruce Prior Blaine, Washington n7rr@...>

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 4, 1999
                        Sorry, I misstated the reference. IHS is only in D. STRWQHNAI is in S
                        118 f13 69 124 157 579 788 1071 1346
                        Bruce Prior