Re: tc-list Cursive scripts in editions

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 1999
      On 3/3/99, Prof. Ron Minton wrote:

      >It is interesting that the Hebrew Bible was printed a generation
      >before the GNT.

      I don't think it's surprising, really. Printing wasn't invented
      until after the fall of Byzantium (or, at least, so shortly
      before as makes no difference). So there was no particular
      reason for a Greek Bible to be printed; the Orthodox no longer
      had the Byzantine Empire, and the Catholics used the Latin
      Bible (which, of course, was the first book printed).

      Whereas the Jews, since they tried to get all their people to
      read the Hebrew scriptures, had an immediate use for a printed
      text. A Greek Bible was a luxury to Catholics (and an expensive
      one, given the problems of Greek printing :-), while a Hebrew
      printed text was very important to Jews anywhere.

    • Michael Holmes
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 1999
        Re the use of cursive scripts and ligatures in early printed editions of the NT:
        Metzger (Text of the NT, pp. 96) writes,
        "The attempt was made to reproduce in print the appearance of minuscule
        Greek handwriting, with its numerous alternative forms of the same letter,
        as well as its many combinations of two or more letters (ligatures).
        Instead, therefore, of producing type for merely the twenty-four letters of
        the Greek alphabet, printers prepared about 200 different characters.
        (Subsequently these variant forms of the same letters were abandoned, until
        today there remain only the two forms of the lower-case sigma"

        Mike Holmes